Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 610 Tombstone

I "think" I'm about finished with the electronic part of this project and starting to look at cabinet details. The grill cloth isnt in bad shape, but looks faded to me. Any recommendations on a suitable replacement if I decide to do so? Also, the dial glass paint/decals are peeling. Found a 640 on Radio Daze, but dont know if this will work or if there is a source should I decide to replace. Finally, does anyone know if the (brass??) ring around the dial glass is suppose to be shiny or left as it is?

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

The dial escutcheon is fine as it is, I had one on a Philco 120 that someone had shined up and it never looked right to me, so I painted it black once I found out that they were originally darkly finished. I don't know if the dark finish was lacquer or some sort of chemical treatment like gun bluing, but shined up escutcheons are for shill scam artists on fleabay, not restorations. As for the glass I think that Radiodaze repros those now, one the 620 the glass was silvered like a mirror in places, I don't know about the 610, so I doubt if Radiodaze silvers them like the originals.
Regards
Arran

If you go with the Radio Daze repop, you might want to double check the size. Philco used a smaller one for the tabletops, compared to the ones used on consoles. They do give dimensions in the item description.

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning

Thanks for the advices. Ill leave the dial metal frame as it is. I did find the Radio Daze repros were larger, so they wont work. Mine measures about 1 7/8 wide x 2 7/8 H. It's not super bad, but if I could find a repro, I'd go that route, otherwise this one will have to do. Getting ready to clean the knobs in the 'sonic.
Before:

After:

It looks like the 3 knobs aren't original to the radio. Repros are about $10 a pop. I don't think these will hurt the function or looks of the radio enough to justify the cost. I think I'll leave the grill cloth alone too. It doesn't look bad in the cabinet. At least for now.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Regarding the knobs, the two concentric black knobs are Philco, the three brown ones are generic Bakelite knobs, though I think some Airline models used them as stock but with the functions engraved into them. In terms of finding replacements I would post an ad on here, or play the fleabay crap shoot, or wait until the Antique Radio club of Illinois has one of their swap meets and see if you can pick up some there. I think $10 each is too much for repros, it's even a little high for originals, since they are among the most common style of Philco knob out there. Another possibility would be to pick up a junk set or chassis, which might solve the dial glass problem too if it happens to be a 610B or 610T (I don't know about a 610L or 610X), but lots of Philcos built between 1936 and 1940 used the same style of knob.
Regards
Arran