Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

F 1540 valve car radio

Hi there, I am working on a Philco F1540 car radio.I discovered that the oscillator was not working well .I removed the oscillator  coil and found that the coils more or  less disintegrated when I pointed the heat gun at them. I was able to salvage some of the coils and discovered that the outside coil,wound in a cotton covered wire seemed to have 20 turns.But the inside coil (wound in enameled wire ) broke in several places.I have rewound both coils estimating the number of turns  but the tuning is off. Does anyone know how many turns there should be in each coil?Cheers, David

Hi and welcome,
Can't tell you the number of turns but if your oscillator is too low in frequency at the low end of the dial remove a few turns from the larger coil. If it's too high at the low end add few turn to the larger coil. Preferably at the top of the coil so you don't have to disturb the smaller coil. There are universal replacement coils that should work.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Hi there Radioroslyn Thanks for the very prompt reply and very helpful too.I\'ll be off to the shed after work tonight to see what I can do. Thanks and cheers ,David

OBTW I forgot to ask do you have a car to go w/the radio??

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi there Radioroslyn,
Thanks for your reply. No ,I do not have the car to go with the radio. I think the correct car to go with the radio is a 1938 Ford v8. I would need about $35,000 to buy one here!I do have a 1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitworth for which the correct radio is probably a Smiths Radiomobile.
I found the F1540 radio at our local annual  swap meet run by the Canterbury Vintage Car Club ,promoted as the largest swap meet in the Southern Hemisphere. Like your Hershey swap meet it runs for three days (officially).
I was unaware the radio was a Philco until I got it home  &  took the back off and of course was delighted to find the schematic and parts location chart inside.    Unlike my second Philco, also a swap meet purchase, of similar or possibly slightly earlier vintage which uses the same valve lineup ( so it  is that generic Philco 78 6A7 78 75 41 84 circuit)  but which has no model identification at all - no model number tag , no paper schematic inside, nothing. I do not have the tuning head for it - maybe that was where the identification number was attached. I have scoured Riders manuals from about 1933 to 1941 but no luck so far. The closest I have got is  Model 816 /817  in 1937 or Model 826 in 1938. The parts placement chart for these models is almost  correct in Riders  but the volume control is always in the wrong place. Perhaps someone in the Phorum can help. I also have a radio from a 1947 Packard Clipper  which is also a Philco but I haven't really got into that yet. Cheers and all the best, David

Very good! Looks a bit like this: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17260/lot/425/ ? Lines are similar to the mid 30's models in the states.
>Unlike my second Philco, also a swap meet purchase, of similar or possibly slightly earlier vintage which uses the same valve lineup ( so it  is that generic Philco 78 6A7 78 75 41 84 circuit)
Engineering cost money so it's not to unusual find the same circuits with a slight tweak just in a different package. The mid and late 30's table set use a similar line up too just a larger output tube (42) and larger rectifier (80).
Have worked on a few Philco car radio but it not my cup of tea. They are kinda cramped inside. The US models from what I've seen have the paper tags on the inside and some have a metal tag on the outside w/ the model and such. It might be that your set was made in the UK or Aussie land.  There was a member here (Bill) that was pretty keen on the auto sets but he hasn't posted in while.

GL and the best for 2018!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry