Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 70 questions

I recently acquired a Philco model 70, the serial number is A22192. How early is this in the production run? It does have the copper Mershon capacitors. Also, one of the 24A tubes was replaced with a 35, should I replace it with a 24A. The radio works great with lots of volume! Thanks.

Here are some pictures.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice clean chassis!

Could you tell any difference in the operation after replacing the 35 tube with a 24A? I have often wondered why Philco didn't use type 35 tubes in the front end since the volume control varies the bias.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

(03-20-2018, 10:19 AM)Steve Davis Wrote:  Nice clean chassis!

Could you tell any difference in the operation after replacing the 35 tube with a 24A? I have often wondered why Philco didn't use type 35 tubes in the front end since the volume control varies the bias.

Steve

good point

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

From what I've read the 24A doesn't lend it's self to being controlled by varying the control grid voltage hence it doesn't work well in a set w/avc. The 35 has a different cutoff range of voltages that will have a greater effect on it's gain.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I just tried the 24A, no difference. It is the second detector. When working on a new radio, I usually use a Kill A Watt meter to give me some information, all appears fine.

Attached Files Image(s)