Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco FT-9 Restoration

Hi
I'm trying to troubleshoot a Philco FT-9. Unfortunately my tube tester (BK Precision 747B) doesn't have the switch setup for the 6A7, 78, 75, or 41 tubes.  Were these superseded by other numbers?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill Greeley

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I don't think you have the sockets for those tubes in that tester either. Check the continuity of the filaments and if those are good, there is a reasonable chance the tubes will be good enough to make it work. Anyone close to you that might have an older tester?

Hi Bill and welcome,
As Bob eluded to your tester is too new and doesn't test the standard base tubes. To answer your question yes they have been superseded but they have different style bases. The "new" self centering octal base tubes came out in 1935. You'll find that the old standard tubes sometimes are used up abt WWII.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks guys.  Picked up a Jackson 648

"Jackson 648" -- yes..that's what I now have as well. They made those in various versions for many years and were well regarded I believe.

I have a melted wax capacitor on the 84 rectifier tube of my FT-9.  Its labeled 30-4381-S.  There is no other data on the capacitor.  I have been unable to locate any information other than .01 value on the schematic.  Because it is on the rectifier I'm guessing that its probably 1000 VDC.  Any help identifying this cap would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

I merged your FT-9 threads together. This will keep all your FT-9 Q&A and progress in one thread. (It makes it easier to locate and follow in the future).

I'll let the more experience folks answer whether you need 1000v there...I don't think so.
Photo 

1000 V it is.  check out the picture on this site.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/view...6&t=312867

and here's a list of parts from some pre-1936 philco radios.  paper caps on pg. 4

http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/download...201936.pdf

I hope someone can post a similar list with newer caps.