Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-630T only buzzes

I just got done with the recap of this radio and when I powered it up on a Variac I only get a faith buzz out of the speaker if the volume control is up most of the way.  I touched the grid caps on top of the tubes that have grid caps on top and only two make noise. The 6Q7G makes a buzz thru the speaker and the 6K7G (if amp) makes a click thru the speaker. The 6A8G (detector) and the 6K7G (rf) make no buzz at all.
I re-tested the tubes on my tester and they're good. Th rectifier and output tube do get warm and the transformer stays cool.
I'm new to troubleshooting a Radio this old - only worked on AA5's before this.  Would the next step be checking the voltages ? Or am I overlooking something simple?

Start checking continuity of the RF coils. All of them.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Update
Talked with Tucker did a few checks and found the shadowmeter wasn't plugged in, was still in the cabinet. Works swell now.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

T'happens.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.