Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pros and Cons of Refinishing the 511 Series cabinets

Ah, so there is still only one. And now that I re-read the thread, I see that the lotus leaves were already mentioned.

Just out of curiosity were there any markings stamped into the chassis that could tell you whether the set was originally a 511, a 512, etc? I know that they used a stamped "bathtub" style chassis like the model 95 and 96s used, if I remember correctly my model 96 chassis had some numbers stamped or engraved onto it somewhere on the top deck.
Best Regards
Arran

they had a shield by the 80 tube with the model number stamped into it,many were left out during repairs and thrown out.
phil

Jim Berg Wrote:I am not sure what prices these set bring, but to have an artist duplicate the work on the set would not be cheap. I would be more inclined to clean it up and maybe have some touch up done. I would like to find one of these in good shape someday, but have not seen any over the years. A good artist should be able to touch up the cabinet and it should blend in very well. My mom was an artist and did some restorations on old paintings. It required mixing different colors to get the proper shade of the aged paint.

Actually it is probably easier to paint a replica then it is to touch up an original, as you mentioned you need to custom mix the paints just right so the repairs don't stand out against the old paint. If you were to take a 511, strip it, and repaint it to replicate a 512, 513, etc, then you would be starting with a blank "canvas" so to speak. There would be no need to exactly match colours or brush strokes since no two of the originals were the same to begin with. To me the flowers on most of those models remind me of the ones that tole painters make, several layers of replicated brush strokes to form leaves and flower pedals, making an acceptable facsimile should not be too difficult to someone artistically inclined.
With the 515 model, "The Impressionistic", was that a design that was offered from the factory? A prototype maybe? Or some type of one off that was special ordered?
Best Regards
Arran

philco phan Wrote:they had a shield by the 80 tube with the model number stamped into it,many were left out during repairs and thrown out.
phil

That's the model number, what I am talking about is a serial or production number that is stamped onto the chassis pan, my model 96 has one.
Best Regards
Arran

the serial number is on the plate the model number is stamped into and attached to the shield,no other numbers on the chassis as best i can remember.
phil

Arran Wrote:Just out of curiosity were there any markings stamped into the chassis that could tell you whether the set was originally a 511, a 512, etc? I know that they used a stamped "bathtub" style chassis like the model 95 and 96s used, if I remember correctly my model 96 chassis had some numbers stamped or engraved onto it somewhere on the top deck.
Icon_arrow YES! On the top side of the chassis above the line cord entrance you will find the Serial number of the set. As I recall from my research for Chapter One of the book, all the hand-painted sets from year 1928 have a 6-digit serial number stamped there that matches the serial number on the shield.

I took the time to verify this by examining my 12 sets. In several cases I couldn't see it unless I cleaned the chassis with a mini wire brush. My question is can you cross reference the serial number in order to determine the model number? Nothing in the documents from my research seems to say "yes". I bet Ron would know. Does anyone know?

Thanks, Michael P.

"Ice cream has no bones"

Michael Prosise Wrote:My question is can you cross reference the serial number in order to determine the model number?

We could - if we had access to Philco's factory data on their serial numbers and if they even kept such records (one would think they would, but who knows?).

The fact of the matter is, we do not have this access.

I only know of one possible place where these records might still exist - and that would be the Ford Historical Archives. I want to go there someday and research the archives, but as of now I neither have the time nor the $$$$ to go spend a week or more in Dearborn.

Maybe these archives can tell exactly how many of each version of the 511 Series were built, how many of each version of Model 90 Baby Grands were built, and the brand of toilet paper used by Larry Gubb. Maybe not. Were such records even kept and/or preserved? That is a question I cannot answer at the present time.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

am i going nuts??
this morning i read micheal's post and clearly he stated negative on a chassis stamp,now it's a positive,why the sudden turnaround?if it were me i would consider it a senoir minute but i'm sure of what i read.
micheal,it would be great if you could post some pics of your 5 series sets.
phil

This is a scan of the shield from a model 513 serial 002114. The serial number on the shield is also stamped on the chassis, directly to the rear of the shield. This shield is held in place by 4 easily accessable screws. It can therefore be discarded, the cabinet stripped and re-painted in any of the 4 designs, and thus sold as the real thing, any model. The non-collector seeing a fake in an antique store would never suspect.

I am aware of a collector with superior painting skills who is in fact producing "faux" cabinets, for others and himself, but swears he would never mis-represent them as being originals. However once out of his hands and into another's, there's no longer any control on the radio's fate. But only time will tell . . .

Best regards, Michael P.

"Ice cream has no bones"

Michael Prosise Wrote:I am aware of a collector with superior painting skills who is in fact producing "faux" cabinets, for others and himself, but swears he would never mis-represent them as being originals. However once out of his hands and into another's, there's no longer any control on the radio's fate. But only time will tell . . .
That is a key point - someone who owns a radio is certainly free to do what they want for their own enjoyment, but even then, they should clearly and permanently mark it, as they still have a moral responsibility to future buyers and sellers of that radio. Think about it - what if you bought what you thought was an original 513, 514, or 515, then discovered that it was a re-painted 511? What if the seller also believed it was real?

As I stated above, if someone re-paints a less-expensive model as a more-expensive model and then sells it as an original of the more expensive model, they have commited a crime, and I hope they are caught.

Web site: http://www.masekconsulting.net
Radio Photos: http://www.photobucket.com - album id FStephenMasek

Ok just stumbled across this thread.. I have a Philco Model 512 or so I thought.. It has a red Cabinet.. However the plate over the Rectifier tube say its a Model 514 SN 056219..

I looked on chassis and it say SN 056219 so they match.. So looks like a have a Model 514 in a 512 Case.. It also came with a matching speaker ( Red Case)

Skip...

Lets see it Skip!
Sounds interesting...

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

RON,,,,maybe ,,,,can access on internet,, Ford achieves

Ok Here it is..

[Image: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4358/3678...4221_b.jpg]

[Image: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4402/3675...fa4e_b.jpg]