Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 806 Auto Radio

Please help me determine into what automobile this radio was originally installed. Does a cross reference exist for vintage radios and autos?

According to the info I have, Model 806 is a "universal fit" set, unlike the Philco models made as original equipment for specific autos. Perhaps Doug Houston could fill in more info here?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The 806 is the "standard" model, but the same set also was custom built, called Models T-7 and T-8, and was used by Nash Motors Company.

This info is from the 1931-1935 Service Manual for Autos, publication Part No. 39-4250. Same info also appears in Philco Auto Radios publication PR-1096, 1931-1937 and publication Part No. 39-5600 from Oct. 7, 1937.

The 806 bulletin is dated March, 1935, so it probably came on the market in mid to late 1934. This set must have been very popular, since a Production Change bulletin from Sept. 1935 list changes up through Run 11 already.

The "standard" 806 could have been installed in many different autos it seems Earl. If it was a Model T-7 or T-8, it would have been for a 1935 Nash most likely.

I appreciate very much the information received todate on the Philco 806. We have had this in our family for over 50 years and still works well after reconditioning the vibrator. Thanks again. Earl

Hi, Chuck... Any idea what year a model 816 car radio is from? I'm guessing around 1936.

Tim KA3JRT

Tim,

End of 1935 or early 1936, according to my info.

My 806 has been recapped but has lo volume. There is 237 volts on the output transformer and the hum from touching the top cap on the first audio tube sounds weak in the speaker. I like the look 30's look of this set and would like to trace the trouble.I am a newbie here where could i get a schematic? Thanks

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I think this is what you are looking for:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/848/M0013848.htm

Thanks Bob, the 6A7 is weak and i have ordered a new one.

(02-06-2017, 01:23 PM)wannchev Wrote:  Thanks Bob, the 6A7 is weak and i have ordered a new one.

Replaced the 6A7 and volume has improved. What other tubes should be changed?

I have not worked on a car radio but any other weak tube might be replaced. If the others all test strong, and you think the volume is still low there could be resistors that have drifted out of spec (gone to higher resistance values) that might be the culprit. Another possible thing to check would be alignment. I'm not the best trouble shooter but that's what I would check next.

Thanks Bob