Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Modern radio-old controls

I'm probably in the wrong place. I am a newbe with a question. I have a unknown maker '30's style radio head which I am planning to install in a 1936 styled kit-car. The radio head consists of a round tuning indicator located above two knobs. Kinda looks like a Mickey Mouse upside down.

I would like to take a modern cd-radio combination and actually turn it on and off and hopefully tune it using this radio head.

I may be using the wrong term. What I am calling a radio head is a dash mounted remote control for a large radio which I understand was usually located in the trunk of the automobile and connected to the "radio head" with cables similar to speedometer cables.

I could probably put a mechanical switch on the "hot" power line for a radio but tuning and selecting function has me baffled. (I know about as much about electricity as I do spelling)

I thought some modern radio with a detachable face plate might be adaptable to mechanical controls. I would like to have an AM-FM radio with CD and a remote CD player.

Does anyone have any idea how this could be done and which radio cd-player might best lend itself to this type of adaption.

I have considered mounting the radio head on a thin piece of wood directly infront of the modern radio and installing push buttons that make direct contact with the push button controls on the radio but I fear that would destroy the 1930's look I am trying to achieve for my dash.

Thanks for any assistance you may give me. Shiftless3spd

Sounds like an interesting project although I've never heard of anyone actually doing it.

The mechanical linkage from the head could theoretically be used to turn an optical encoder to drive the tuning of a modern radio via some intermediate black box circuit.

I bet it could be done but I don't have enough brains to figure it out! I'm old school. I'd look for an original radio and feed FM/Ipod to it via a little transmitter laying in the seat Icon_crazy

Thanks for the response xray.
Shiftless3spd