Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rca model 816k

murf Wrote:
TA Forbes Wrote:Post some pics when you get a chance, Murf. Would like to see it!

Like Doug said, after a re-cap/alignment, it should be very impressive. I feel your pain with the work involved with a large set. My 37-116 and Continental 16R took awhile to replace and fix everything that needed replaced and fixed!

Your set is definitely worth taking the time to do it right. Good luck!!!

Hi again guy's,
After re-capping,(did not do the cough drops)replacing a few resistors,and a bunch of rotted wires,the radio plays,but not as it should.Does not pull in the stations as strong as it should and there is some backround noise and static when tuned in.
Could this be due to needing an alignment,or should I be looking at something else?
THere were some pretty brittle wires with missing rubber causing the crackling and popping.Thats gone now.
Just need to figure out why its not receiving as it should and eliminate the backround noise.
ANy suggestions?
Is this a hard one to align?
Thanks again,
murf
Figured out why the stations were weak.
After looking at the alignment instructions it stated that number 4 IF coil must not be adjusted from factory setting.Should have 4 threads exposed.It was turned out to about 7 threads exposed.
Dialed it in where it should be,and it now picks up the stations fine.
It has plenty of volume,but a little distorted on low volume.
Think that doing an alignment will improve the distortion?
Thanks guy's
murf

You have a nice set here, so why not do a proper restoration. Replace all the remaining resistors and capacitors and rotted wires, then do a proper alignment. Can't be more than $20 worth of parts still wanting. Beware modern stuff like wall warts, dimmers, computers, etc... can screw up AM/SW reception. Just weren't around when these old sets were made.

codefox1 Wrote:You have a nice set here, so why not do a proper restoration. Replace all the remaining resistors and capacitors and rotted wires, then do a proper alignment. Can't be more than $20 worth of parts still wanting. Beware modern stuff like wall warts, dimmers, computers, etc... can screw up AM/SW reception. Just weren't around when these old sets were made.

Some of those mica caps are buried and very hard to get at with a soldering iron.Hoping I can avoid replacing those.
Have replaced the worst wires and a few of the larger resistors.
There a a few wires that are really buried that did not look too bad that I left alone.
Mainly cause I would have to tear out a bunch of stuff to access them.
Maybe if I get bored this winter I could start pecking away at it.
murf

Mica caps are pretty good even at 70 years old, you should be fine leaving them in.

But if there are "buried" paper caps, they can cause some problems. Maybe you should have an expert replace them. Like I said before, your 816K is worth it. Man, they are super radios.

TA Forbes Wrote:Mica caps are pretty good even at 70 years old, you should be fine leaving them in.

But if there are "buried" paper caps, they can cause some problems. Maybe you should have an expert replace them. Like I said before, your 816K is worth it. Man, they are super radios.
Did all the paper caps and electrolitics.
Will continue to replace resistors and any questionable wires while I am digging around in there.
Thanks
murf

Yes.

That is do the rest of the component replacements (just do it.) and then do the alignment or have it done properly. I like Polyethelene Varnish too, but don't tell!

Some of my best older restos were done with varnish and stain. But laquer really is better, once you get the hang of it.

murf Wrote:
TA Forbes Wrote:Mica caps are pretty good even at 70 years old, you should be fine leaving them in.

Did all the paper caps and electrolitics.
Will continue to replace resistors and any questionable wires while I am digging around in there.
Thanks
murf
Had a friend of mine look at it today.He does quite a bit of resto-work on old radios,and he thinks the low volume distortion is due to the speaker itself.
Will try cleaning it out with low pressure air and see if that helps.
Anybody ever clean one of these?
Otherwise,after replacing a few out of spec resistors and a few more wires,we are going to align it and see what we have.
Thanks
murf

murf Wrote:
TA Forbes Wrote:Post some pics when you get a chance, Murf. Would like to see it!

Like Doug said, after a re-cap/alignment, it should be very impressive. I feel your pain with the work involved with a large set. My 37-116 and Continental 16R took awhile to replace and fix everything that needed replaced and fixed!

Your set is definitely worth taking the time to do it right. Good luck!!!

Hi again guy's,
After re-capping,(did not do the cough drops)replacing a few resistors,and a bunch of rotted wires,the radio plays,but not as it should.Does not pull in the stations as strong as it should and there is some backround noise and static when tuned in.
Could this be due to needing an alignment,or should I be looking at something else?
THere were some pretty brittle wires with missing rubber causing the crackling and popping.Thats gone now.
Just need to figure out why its not receiving as it should and eliminate the backround noise.
ANy suggestions?
Is this a hard one to align?
Thanks again,
murf
Hi Guy's,
Well after replacing the rest of the rotted wires,a few resistors,and having a friend re-align it,it plays great.
Even the short wave bands pull in a lot of stations.
Will put it back together this weekend and find a nice place to display it.
Thanks to everyone for the input.
murf

Quote:Will try cleaning it out with low pressure air and see if that helps.
Anybody ever clean one of these?

One of the best ways to clean a speaker is to GENTLY brush the dust from the cone, lay the speaker face down and let it play at moderate volume overnight. The movement of the speaker will vibrate the years of dust & dirt right on out of there. I don't recommend the compressed air method, even at low pressure you can blow a hole through the fragile paper.
Dave

Here is the finished radio.

[Image: http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q509...CA816K.jpg]

I'd replace the "cough drops" too, you can look them up in the parts list, check the antenna coil as well. Alignment will take a while.

Schematic and alignment instructions here:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...015155.pdf

I wouldn't mess with the mica capacitors unless there is a problem that replacing the paper capacitors, resistors, tubes, and a alignment can't cure. The only time that I would replace one of those coffin shaped micas on spec would be if the mica was split and falling apart. Distortion in the audio has nothing to do with these, it could be the speaker (dirt in the pole piece or a warped cone) or it could be drifted bias resistors, or bad capacitors, or bad tubes.
Regards
Arran