Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rca model 816k

Have a RCA model 816k radio that I am restoring.
Replacing all electrolitics and a few resistors as well as some wiring.
Have re-finished the cabinet.
Stripped,stained and applied 5 coates of varnish.
I know you guy's would prefer a lacquer finish,but it's not in the budget.
Looks great.
Everything works including the optional remote control.
Amazing radio.
Sticker on inside says 200 watts output.
Has 16 tubes and all functions as it should.
What is this beast worth?
Thanks,
murf

Hello, Murf: the label probably refers to the radios power consumption of 200 watts, which is pretty high but then again it is a 16 tube set.

The 816K's output power was around 25 watts, which was substantial back in 1937. The power tubes were 2X 6L6 driven by a 6F6, which was what Philco went to in 1938 for their top of the line 38-690 sets, although the Philco was rated at 15W output.

If the set is performing properly after the re-cap and alignment, you have a thunder generator on your hands. I've had mine going, without having been re-capped as yet, and it's impressive.

As far as the value goes, I'd want to see the refinish job before I'd hazard a value guess. Somehow, I'm sure that it doesn't resemble the original finish, and if so, not many buyers would want it.

It's like the old saying, you get what you pay for, and that the price of oats is less, after they've been through the horse.

Maybe the cabinet looks good, but I'll never put varnish on any radio cabinet and expect it to worth more than one done with lacquers.

Doug Houston Wrote:If the set is performing properly after the re-cap and alignment, you have a thunder generator on your hands. I've had mine going, without having been re-capped as yet, and it's impressive.

As far as the value goes, I'd want to see the refinish job before I'd hazard a value guess. Somehow, I'm sure that it doesn't resemble the original finish, and if so, not many buyers would want it.

It's like the old saying, you get what you pay for, and that the price of oats is less, after they've been through the horse.

Maybe the cabinet looks good, but I'll never put varnish on any radio cabinet and expect it to worth more than one done with lacquers.

Have the electrolitics done,and have to paper caps and some resistors next.
Is not pulling in the stations like it should,and has a little crackling or popping noises if you play it.
Looked at schematics,and it has a ton of caps in it.
WHen I re-finished it,I stripped with antique furniture stripper,stained original colors and re-did the black trim,then varnished with 5 coates of a high quality furniture varnish,hand rubbing imperfections between coats.Looks real nice.
Thanks for the reply.
murf

Post some pics when you get a chance, Murf. Would like to see it!

Like Doug said, after a re-cap/alignment, it should be very impressive. I feel your pain with the work involved with a large set. My 37-116 and Continental 16R took awhile to replace and fix everything that needed replaced and fixed!

Your set is definitely worth taking the time to do it right. Good luck!!!

Posted at Murf's request.

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...G_1252.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Icon_thumbup

Nice..Seeing this radio in the movie "Christmas story" is what started my interest in vintage radio's. I hope to locate on someday. I just need to be satisfied with my 811k for now.

Glenn

glennpr Wrote:Nice..Seeing this radio in the movie "Christmas story" is what started my interest in vintage radio's. I hope to locate on someday. I just need to be satisfied with my 811k for now.

Glenn
The radio in the movie "Christmas Story" was Westinghouse and not RCA.
See the screenshots from the movie

Ash

I see you are correct, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Glenn

Like you I was too under the impression that it was RCA 811K and ended up buying 811K as well as a 816K. Then someone corrected me about the model. I saw the movie again. And I was quite disappointed on myself Icon_sad

But anyway these RCA radios are awesome in sound reproduction. Only problem I see in them are the escutcheons.
Here's mine 816K (unrestored) and 811K is under restoration. Chassis is fully restored even the electric tuning is fixed. I suck in cabinet refinishing so working on that. Once I am done with it, I'll post the pictures.
Thanks for reading. Icon_smile

Ash

The console radio used in the movie 'Christmas Story' was apparently a Canadian Westinghouse
780X. The interior shots were filmed in Toronto.

Speaking of Westinghouse, a couple of days ago I went into one of the back rooms at my house to grab some tubes, and discovered a baby rabbitt sitting on my Westinghouse WR29. When I got closer, the rabbitt looked up at me and said "hello."

Not knowing what one should say to a talking rabbitt, I said "what are you doing here?"

The rabbitt replied "isn't this a Westinghouse?"

I replied that indeed it was.

The rabbitt then said to me "Well, I'm Westing. Icon_wink

TA Forbes Wrote:Speaking of ........ me "Well, I'm Westing. Icon_wink

Ash

TA Forbes Wrote:Post some pics when you get a chance, Murf. Would like to see it!

Like Doug said, after a re-cap/alignment, it should be very impressive. I feel your pain with the work involved with a large set. My 37-116 and Continental 16R took awhile to replace and fix everything that needed replaced and fixed!

Your set is definitely worth taking the time to do it right. Good luck!!!

Hi again guy's,
After re-capping,(did not do the cough drops)replacing a few resistors,and a bunch of rotted wires,the radio plays,but not as it should.Does not pull in the stations as strong as it should and there is some backround noise and static when tuned in.
Could this be due to needing an alignment,or should I be looking at something else?
THere were some pretty brittle wires with missing rubber causing the crackling and popping.Thats gone now.
Just need to figure out why its not receiving as it should and eliminate the backround noise.
ANy suggestions?
Is this a hard one to align?
Thanks again,
murf