Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 32 question

My model 32 does not have a 36 tube! where it should go is a six-pin socket that apppears to be of the same variety as the other tubes. The tube removed was a 77!

Have not seen a 77 used as an oscillator before. Is this a sign of the apocalypse?

Should be 5-pin socket. Have they rewired it?

Not sure, it is a six pin socket and the color of the bakelite is the same as the other sockets.

Not sure what is going on with this chassis. It has been repaired in the past, as the .009/.009mFd bakelite block was replaced with two aftermarket paper .01mFd caps, and both electrolytics were replaced with paper aftermarket 8mFd. So it is likely that the socket was replaced and the set re-wired.

I have temporarily shelved the 32 chassis in order to address the issues with a Continental 16R chassis that goes in a cabinet I just finished.

Could be that Philco revised the model 32 to use a 77 at the same time they made this revision to the model 89, and never bothered to document it. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

If the socket is riveted in like the others, it is probably a factory job.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oh, don't start me on it. Motorola improved upon their 6811 micro-controllers once (beg. 0f 1990-s, made them work from lower voltages), never having bothered to mention it anywhere. I had the time of my life troubleshooting the weird behavior a newly built batch of my controllers.
I hate it.

Yes! It is documented!

Quote:9-1-34, Run 5. Type 36 Detector-Oscillator Tube replaced by a type 77, giving more stable performance. This requires also the following changes:

Five-hole Tube Socket replaced by six-hole type.

Resistor (16), Part No. 6208 (15,000 ohms), replaced by 33-1114 (8000 ohms).

Condenser (15), Part No. 5863 (.0007 mfd.), replaced by 7007 (.0014 mfd.).

This change, and many others, are available in the Philco Changes in Models PDF package, covering 1933 through 1938 models, and available here on the Phorum at:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...hp?tid=215

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, sometimes you make it hard for me to be dumb!

Nice research, and I need to re-download and print these great Philco resources. I did so awhile back but I am missing this info.

Yes, the tube socket and method of affixing them to the chassis is the same, that is what befuddled me.

I stripped the cabinet today and am in the process of sanding the wood before I start with grain filler.