Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Zenith 9-S-262 Restoration Chronicles

Thanks for the advice, Morzh. I have the schematics; what I don't have is what he alluded to early on in this post; a wiring diagram. In my case, it would be useful as things are so far out of whack on this radio, I would love to get an overall sense of the wiring, lead dress, etc., not just the circuit layout. Thank you.

Diverted

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...th+9-s-262

My Z before repair.
You can see the wires, most are untouched.

Morzh,

THANK YOU!~ This is exactly what I needed. I don't know what the previous owner of my 262 was thinking, or whether he was just practicing etc. But there are some serious misconnections, cut wires, caps floating here and there. Also, there looks to be some great info in your post. Thanks again, can't wait to dive in. I got extremely lucky and picked up the radio, which is complete apart from a missing motor tuning knob and the wiring issues, for $50 on Craigslist. The 6T5 had been replaced with a 6G but I'm not complaining!

About 6T5, the same electric equivalent is 6U5. In the first photo the wiring has been changed and in later photos it is probably restored. So do not go by the eye tube wiring from the first photo.

Also the socket of the eye tube is likely to lose that 1M resistor. I described there an easy way of fixing it without disassembling the socket.

Sorry for taking so long to respond to this. I haven't been in this section of the forum for awhile. Here is the wiring diagram that I made of my 9S262 chassis, as found. It contains some of my notes. Numbers added to specific wires were where I had disconnected some that went through to the top of the chassis and put tape with numbers on them to keep things straight. Between this and the schematic I got mine working again.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-05OmK...sp=sharing

Diverted

A reminder about CandOhm resistor - those in Zeniths are notorious for having open sections, I had 11kOhm one open, and some others out of spec. One of the first things to check.