Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Thoughts on a McMurdo Silver Masterpiece VI Speaker

Kirwin

Agree with Arran. If your set were mine, I wouldn't hesitate to build my own amp/power supply and, if nothing else, use modern speakers as I have done. The Clifton cabinet is, from what I have read, highly desirable so you have the main "eye candy" - the tuner and the cabinet. A new amp/power supply and modern speakers would not be seen unless you turned the cabinet around, removed the back cover and showed people what was inside.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

thanks for your input. I feel better knowing that that there is hope for my MS set. I dont have the technical skills to build those components as yet. however I will look into it and am willing to pay for one to be constructed

I think there is a radio club in Toronto? Not sure about that. I would definitely look into that if I were you. Which Masterpiece do you have? I have MP V and MP VI schematics. It would not be too difficult to build a suitable amp/power supply. The power transformer would be the most expensive part.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

the placque that is usually attached t o the chassis is missing but it was advertised as a v when I bohught the set. I dont know the tube layout of either sets. Is there any way to tell what the set is at a glance. it looks identical to the one you are working on.

just checked the front and it is the v1

its a shame that people are willing to hack these pieces of art and sell the components over sea. you know once that done that set may never be together again. i also have the 15-17 which I rescued from a guy who was going to throw away the radio and make the cabinet into a liquor cabinet.

Ron, how would you identify a Masterpiece VI amp/supply? I have something that looks very similar to what you have in your cabinet.

I don't think that the audiophools have much interest in the power supply/amplifier chassis in these things since they are mono and have no controls, it's mostly that the 18'' Jensens with the concentric mounted tweeter have a cult following. Why they have a thing for Jensen speakers I don't know? They did make some excellent speakers at the high end but they most a lot of cheap 4'', 5" , and 6'' ones used in AC/DC radios too. Anyone thinking that they are going to get higher fidelity sound out of a 70 year old electrodynamic is kidding themselves, it won't sound bad but it won't sound any better then a P.M dynamic costing a fraction of the price.
Regards
Arran

Hi Ron. I wouldnt mind a copy of the V1 schematics from you. Please let me know

Mondial - there are no markings on my amp. It is chrome plated, as are the covers for the power transformer, audio output transformer and two chokes. The power transformer is horizontally mounted so only the top bell is visible (and chrome plated).

The Masterpiece VI amp has four tubes - two 6L6G push-pull outputs, and two 5U4G rectifiers.

It has sockets on one side for the off-on switch, the interconnect cable from the tuner, and for the Jensen Super-Giant 18 inch speaker.

Kirwin - Glad to do it, but it may be several days before I can do so. I'll need your email address - please do not post it here due to spammers, but send me a PM.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, It seems that it may be as you describe. As I recall it had four sockets but its missing the tubes. Two octal and two 4 pin. Chrome chassis and transformer covers with a 5 pin and 6 pin socket on the side.

I got this with a Scott Allwave chassis, but the amp did not seem correct for the tuner.

When I get a chance I will try to post a photo for positive ID.

I'll have to look at my stuff tonight when I get home from work. The five pin socket sounds correct for the Jensen speaker, I think, but I do not recall at present how many pins the socket for the tuner-amp interconnect should have.

If it is a McMurdo amp, maybe you and Kirwin can work out a deal. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well, duh - the answer to the socket question on the amp is on page 3 of this thread. Icon_crazy Here you go:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...91f816.jpg]

The MP VI amp has a 5 pin socket for the Super-Giant speaker, and a 6-pin socket for the interconnect cable going to the tuner.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I decided just now to buy this original 12A-58 tweeter.
I noticed it has the same 4 pin plug as the super jumber used for McMurdo's tweeter option. These are unobtainiom and if it works on my MP 6 even better. If not, I can always sell it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1936-Zenith-12-A...7675.l2557

Bruce - Icon_thumbup Congratulations! Let us know if it works...Interesting how the MP VI schematic, a portion of which is reproduced in my last post as well as on page 3, does not show the hookup for the optional tweeter.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN