Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-116X vs RCA 15K

First of, check your parts before taking them out. Otherwise you will be doing lots of work you could've avoided.

What else....there are nothibf else in the socket usually, just wires.

Have you made sure the tube's good?
Does your AVC work?

Mike, I like your quick resistor replacement. Over the last few months I've done it on a couple Zenith shutterdial sets and it works great. It is so easy to break those Zenith sockets.

The last set I had to deal with that had a Magic Eye was a Canadian RCA-Victor A-23, it had two other issues in addition to the burned out 1 meg resistor. The first issue was that the eye tube was seized right in place, the second was that the wires in the cable were baked to death and the insulation falling apart. Unfortunately this used one of those infamous Eby sockets with the Bakelite back on it, the tube contacts are seated in these holes molded in the Bakelite back, and held in by a phenolic wafer, I suppose I could have tried to salvage it but since I had an Amphenol socket with the metal cap I used one of those instead. One thing that I have though of doing was to take the back from one or more of those Eby sockets and hog it out to fit over the back of either a six pin or an octal socket. In another set that had one of those Eby  sockets, a CGE JK76, I connected an octal socket in place with no cap but it looks kind of crude, and is somewhat dangerous.
Regards
Arran

I believe that the RCA is superior to the Philco in all respects except for audio quality and not too far behind there. They also have very nice cabinets. I think a closer decision would be between the 15K and a 37-116X for looks. The 15K will tune all the way up to 50Mhz, as I recall, but is kind of a PITA to set up, but now that I think about it, so is the Philco.

In your case I give the edge to the RCA Much closer if it was a 37 Philco.

I admit that the no stoop cabinets have never appealed to me and I have never kept one of them.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

They are both very nice performing radios. You can really hotrod some of the RCA sets. I know on the 9T (and maybe 10T) chassis they rewire the front end 6K7 tube socket for a 6SG7 tube with fantastic results. I've heard nothing but good things performance wise on the large RCA sets of this era.