Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philcos all aglow gather here

I used to sit with my grandfather back in the early 1950s and listen to a set like this 48-1270. That glowing dial was etched in my memory and was the inspiration for restoring this set.    

It is essentially the same cabinet as 46-1213 I recently finished.
Same dial too.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

BigRedDog, that is a great looking radio/phonograph. Looking at the dial and knob arrangement I am reminded of the 48-482, which is a table radio. I have restored one, and have a couple of others yet to restore. It is one of my favorite Philcos although the FM can be a bit of a pain to get squared away. This is what the 48-482 looks like. If you took the same chassis, and turned it on its side, I think you would have a very similar result to your 48-1270. Basically the same radio just added the phonograph to it. Look at the dial, even the numbering is the same, just turned 90 degrees.
[Image: https://64.media.tumblr.com/d640415209ad...2_1280.jpg]

Mikethedruid that cabinet looks flawless - beautiful! My wife had wondered why the 1270 dial and controls are angled inward. I told her it was just aesthetics, but you have the real reason.
Interesting how major components are shared among various models. Radios are a lot like cars I suppose. As morzh points out the 1270 (1216) model persisted across multiple years. I would like to know more about the marketing, engineering, and aesthetic design processes and decision making that occurred through the years.

I finished my Philco model 66 from 1935. Here is a close up of the dial all aglow...

[Image: https://64.media.tumblr.com/67925b51f630...856b7e.jpg]

Good morning, here's a picture of the dial on my Philco 47-1230 I finished restoring last month--listening to WJR.   Ken

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice, Ken, congratulations. Icon_thumbup

Hello BigRedDog,
what great looking set !
mike that 48-482 looks really nice .
Ken sounds like your set came out working well for you then .

Sincerely Richard

Hello everyone, here's the dial aglow on my Philco 38-10XF that I got back into restoring yesterday. I'm currently listening to WLW on it.   Ken

Attached Files Image(s)

Enjoyed all the previous postings!!!  Here's my lineup....
Hope I don't get "Reported" for showing "non-Philcos"
1st...Philco 48-482
2nd...The Spice Chest Radio "spices not included"
3rd & 4th...Grebe AH-1

Attached Files Image(s)

They all glow nice, Philcos or not.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup