Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rca radiola 26

any one have schmatic`s or any info on this radio
it`s rough, battery opp and all original ?
[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...146600.jpg]

I love these radios, but they are a PITA to work on. Unless you are extremely lucky, the audio transformers are both open, which means you will have to depot the catacomb, which is really fun.. NOT. And of course the shock dampers between the catacomb and the control head will be totally toast (I've yet to find a suitable replacement). Check the speaker for operation (use a 9V battery across the terminals, see if it gives a loud click), as these tend to have permanent magnets that have long since become not-so-permanent.

Now the biggie.. if what I see is all you have, you have a big problem, as the missing door contains the antenna, which is extremely critical to the function of this radio.

Now as to your question, you can get the complete owners/service manual, beautifully reproduced from the original, from http://www.radiolaguy.com/Manuals/Radiol...s18-28.htm

I MAY have a spare door with antenna.

Note, these radios don't tune very high. The best I've gotten from them is around 1400 KHz. And tuning is very interesting, as you have to tune the LO (right hand tuner) to find the station, then the antenna (left hand tuner) to peak the signal. It takes some back-and-forth to find a station.

Have fun. Icon_smile It will be like no other radio you've ever played with, I'm pretty sure.

What an interesting radio! I like it very much! Hopefully Brenda (or someone) will have the parts you need! Icon_thumbup

Just a neat looking radio although I lack interest in battery powered ones. BAD you never cease to amaze me on your experience and knowledge on some of the really obscure stuff! Certainly nice having you on board.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

The next question, does it still have the tubes in it? I think that they were UX199s.
Regards
Arran

UV199/99. Short pin. 6 of them. RF/OSC/IF/DET/1st audio/Output, IIRC. The set also needs four voltages to operate it:

4.5V for filaments, in the form of 6 No. 6 dry cells in series/parallel
4.5V for bias in the form of 3 "F" cells (I've modified mine for "D" cells)
45V for low B+ to the first 5 tubes
90V for high B+ to the output tube. (these previous two batteries are in series)

hi guys
BAD i have door/anttana, head phones and has all the tubes probley paid too much but i liked it`s look and had the cash so ehh
would like to see your pic`s
far as it working lol im just starting out so it will sit for a long time i have no space to fix things and work 2 jobs so its tuff unless your willing thanks for radiolaguy site
thanks for all the help guys

sam

Here are the pieces I have to spare:

I do not have any speakers or speaker parts. Those drivers are made of only the purest .9999 Unobtainium. I had to modify mine to rebuild the driver using a 2" transistor radio speaker, and added an output transformer to the radio. Maybe someday I'll find a working replacement, but what tends to happen is that the "permanent" magnets in the drivers (basically just old style headphones) lose all their magnetism. You can try to remagnetize them, but it doesn't last.