Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Car Radio Cosmetic Resto

Now we are at the end and time to move onto another project. But first let's take a look at our finished radio to see how it came out. A cosmetic facelift on a radio such as this usually takes about a couple of hours and requires just some elbow grease along with some simple techniques and common supplies. I hope this thread will be useful to some. I enjoyed doing this and appreciate your time.

Craig R.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's one more thing that I forgot to mention. Although non-cosmetic in nature, I always adjust the radio's antenna trimmer when I first get the radio and once again before I put it up for sale. With this particular model, the trimmer screw is just below the tuning shaft in the lower right corner. First, make sure there is no background noise interference from fluorescent lights, washing machines, etc. Then find a weak station around 1400 and turn the screw to the strongest signal and you're done. I always tell the buyer to re-adjust the screw, once the radio is installed, since antenna setups can be different. After all, you want maximum performance from your newly installed radio. You can see my makeshift antenna setup just above my workbench which works fine for my purposes.

Craig R.

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful! Excellent work. I really enjoyed following along and learning your process. I hope you'll do more threads like this. I've got a DC power supply and I am now thinking of looking for a car radio to restore.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Thanks PuhPow! You can do the electronics and I'll handle the rest. Glad you enjoyed it. It's time I also tackled a vintage table radio with wooden cabinet. I'm anxious to go back through your valuable threads and tackle a cabinet restore myself. I am really looking forward to it! When I do, I will also post my methods and progress.

Craig R.