Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Missed out on a nice predicta by 4 hours

So I was bumming around on CL yesterday and found a nice predicta in not to bad of shape for around 100. I waited a couple hours to see if I really wanted it, so of course when I finally made up my mind, I called him and he sold it 4 hours prior. D*mn

That stinks! The problem with Craigslist is that a lot of time if you snooze, you lose. Making hasty decisions isn't my style either though, so I've missed out on a few items myself.

On the other had the picture tube or flyback might be stuffed, even if not those Predictas can be pigs to get working right, and they were subject to a lot of hack repairs. What year and model of Predicta was it, the Holidays were the most common of the 1958-58 models, the Princess the most common of the 1959-60 models.
Regards
Arran

If I remember correctly it was a Holiday. I keep seeing them pop up here and there but everyone is trying to get the moon in price for them lol. There was one on fleabay where the guy wanted I think 1100

I see that as well, there is a goof in my region trying to get $2900 out of a barber pole Predicta and you can clearly see that it has NOT been electrically restored, as is it's probably worth maybe $400 on a good day. He also has a Princess chalk full of his trademark hack repairs, he wants $1500 for that, probably not worth $250 as it sits, it may have been had he not messed with it. The Holiday and Princess models are the most common by far, but the Holiday sets have that crappy 110 degree short neck CRT with the 2.3 volt heater, many of the ones with good tubes have either replacements or rebuilds in them.
They are not exactly rare sets, sometimes the thing to do is just contact one of these guys, give it a look, and make an offer. Even as working about the only thing they have going for them is the unique design, they were never great sets as new.
Regards
Arran