Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mystery Halson radio model 15 Pg 6 electrical issues

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to radio collecting but I got this Halson radio that no one can identify. It clearly states model 15? but I cant find it anywhere online.
I attached pics so any help from the professionals would be great.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'll look around on this. Is it possible to get a shot of the dial face and the riveted plate next to the model number? I'm wondering if it is a 'Plant A' radio. Thanks, Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

here are some pics.

Here's what I've been able to find. I can find no reference to a Halson model 15, or a Halson 4-tube radio with a 6A7 tube in the mix. They did make at least four 4-tube radios with a 6C6, 6D6, 25Z5, 43, and the L49B ballast tube. They would be the models 5LE, 5L-E, T5, and T10, none of which really look like yours. Federal Purchases also sold the Acratone 5E, 5F, and 5G with the same tube mix. Finally, Halson was known to produce radios for private labeling by department stores, etc.

Where does that leave you? It wouldn't be the last time that a radio has been purchased and one or more tubes in it aren't correct. Is there another name anywhere on the chassis or cabinet? If so, that may give an indication who Halson produced this for. Let me know. Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

I found this but it is one tube off.
Model 161
Manufacturer / Brand: Halson Radio Mfg. Co.
Year: 1937 ?? Type: Radio - or past WW2 tuner
Valves / Tubes 4: 6A7 6C6 25L6G 25Z5
Principle Super-Heterodyne (Super in general); ZF/IF 456 kHz; 1 AF stage(s)
Tuned circuits 4 AM circuit(s)
Wave bands Broadcast only (MW).
Details
Power type and voltage AC/DC-set / 110-120 Volt
Loudspeaker Electro Magnetic Dynamic LS (moving-coil with field excitation coil)
Power out
from Radiomuseum.org Model: 161 - Halson Radio Mfg. Co.
Notes BC band (545-1750 kHz).
External source of data Ernst Erb
Circuit diagram reference Rider's Perpetual, Volume 8 = 1937 and before

Then I did find the 5le but was told it was wrong.
I will look at the radio and check every nook and cranny for some identifying mark. I do know that The IF alignment peaks section of Radio Troubleshooter's Handbook by Ghirardi shows a listing of SOME of Halson's radio models. There is a Model 15 listed, IF 456.

Thanks for all the help,

Kirk

Kirk, I have found a reference to the Halson model 15 in an April 1937 Radio Today magazine. I am attaching a pdf image of the page. That still doesn't get us a schematic or verification of the tubes used, but at least we can rule out it being manufactured for another outfit. I'll keep plugging along. I love a good mystery. Holmes

Attached Files
.pdf Radio-Today-1937-04-OCR-Page-0049.pdf Size: 93.89 KB  Downloads: 179

Joe

You are really diving in here!
What do I owe you? lol
I have found nothing further...

Thanks very much

Kirk

Hello Kirk, Just to let you know that I'm still researching! Joe

Joe

dont get too invested, It is great but I dont want you spending so much time on this.
I am grateful so dont get me wrong.
Kirk

Never fear, I haven't quit my day job. That's what this website is all about, to assist each other when and how we can. My wife is grateful that my hobby is so tame! I've currently been researching which radio manufacturer(s) produced the "Plant A" and "Plant B" radios, so it's no sweat to search the same sources for Halson. Actually, it's been several days since I've had time, and will probably be the weekend before I continue my project.

Joe

I surrender! Outside of the references in an old Radio Today magazine and the Radio Troubleshooters Handbook, the trail ran dry. I'm certain that somewhere out there someone has a schematic, but I can't find it. I hope you have better luck. Joe

Joe

Certain thing you can even fix without schematic.
Of course it is that much more difficult.

But if all values of resistors and caps are readable you could always see if the resistors check out and what value caps you need for replacements.

Continuity check will take care of coils.

And cleaning and visual inspection will do the rest.

Now, should it be a multy-tube monster like a floor 37-690 I would neither recommend it to anyone nor would I look forward too m,uch to it myself, but this being an AA5 set it cannot be too bad.

Just in case you don't procure the schematic. Of course it will make everything that much simpler.

Well I thank you for the help and all the work you did. It was greatly appreciated!

As for not needing the schematic I agree, I cant really read them anyway, lol. I have done all the testing and ordered all the caps except for the 2 big ones, most likely the electrolytics. only markings on both are 2209A and 2209B. I need to find out.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Look how many wires coming out of either electrolytic.

Typically these radios will have a filter with the first cap after 25Z5 being 20-40uF and the second will be after the field coil about 20uF.
There might be another one, possibly, this is why we need to know how many wires and where they come to. The working voltage for either one should be about 150V (can be more but not necessary and in fact can be less). Those are half-wave rectifiers so they will drop the Mains voltage.

One more thing: as you have no experience in electronics, I have to honestlyh warn you an AA5 radio is not at all a good beginners' project as they have hot chassis and a hot chassis can, well, bite.

!!!!!!!!!! If you want to do it!!!!!!!!!!

1. Don't do it in a basement in concrete floor.
2. BUY AN ISOLATION TRANSFORMER and only plug this radio through it while working on it.
3. Check your newly bought isolation transformer for being a true isolation one, taht is its outputs NOT referenced to Earth.

they are both 3 lead caps. they say ECM on the tube ends.
it does not work so I don't plan on plugging it in until it is all recapped and the resistors are replaced that need to be.
Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6