Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mystery Halson radio model 15 Pg 6 electrical issues

looking good!

This chassis is killing me! I have rewired, recapped (thanks to mike) restored and when I start it up the ballast gets burning hot but nothing from the radio. No tubes light, no sound, no dial light. Does anyone have any ideas?

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Send it to Mike! LOL

Gregb

I just might along with the 45 chassis, and all the rest. they need alignment done and repair. do you pick up Mike? Icon_lol

As of 1/01/2021

If shipping wasn't so crazy between Canada and the US I would ship you my cabinets for refinish and you could send me your chassis for repair. I would happy to fix them for you.

Gregb

OK, resurrecting the thread.

First of, power switch is flaky a bit, opened, put Deoxit in, no direct access to contacts unfortunately.

Now, it seems that certain someone changed the pilot lamp socket and in doing so connected one of the contacts to chassis. The probem with that is that the lamp now parallels the filaments, and not in series with them.
I got suspicious when I saw 145 Ohms load to the Mains, and pulling tubes did not affect it.
Nash git!

Well, enough for today, where's my Johnny Walker double black.

So, the open is explaned by the open filament of 6C6 tube.
Also 43 tube has a short according to my Hikok.

Will need those.

Kirk, if you read this before siling me the 76, see if yo have those and put them in the mail together.

6A7 pentagrid is very weak but this is usual and expected, they work, just lose some sensitivity.

A certain someone replaced the pilot light exactly as The original one was. I thing the one I replaced was also a replacement. see the picture of it in the earlier pages on this thread.

My buddy came over and is looking to see if I have these tubes and someone will mail them today.
43 6C6 and a 76.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Yep.

I finished the resistors yesterday.

Most were way out of slec though I suspect they would still work.

Interesting: a resistor with a red body, yellow end and orange dot should be 24K, right?

All three wre 42K, 46K and 61K. I even doubted I read it right.

BTW you did well recapping, all seems correct (electrolytics, all 4 of them, power and cathode feedbacks).

The light socket - I cannto figure out from the photo what that wire goes to, and if it is connected to the frame or not, there could have been a centering insulating washer there.

I have to buy the tubes so I will have them mailed to you.

with all the chassis I send you having been recapped, I want the cabinets stripped before you send them to me. Icon_twisted

Hmmmm, I didnt recap the Silvertone 45 and I do have your address now..... Icon_e_surprised

HAHAHAHAHA or should I say MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Good job so far. Stop buying radios! It has only been a week and you have bought 3. The wife will not be happy... I dont have a spare room for you to live in either. Icon_lol

As of 1/01/2021

My wife is coming back from Russia in two weeks, and I count on her missing me so much she will forgive my small transgressions I committed in her absense. Hey, she only got herself to blame, she wasn't here to stop me, and I was going crazy without her so I needed something to keep me from hanging myself...stress is combatted with indulgence. For some it is food, for others - booze, for me - radios.

And 37-116 is not for myself, and 16 will be eithere returned or discounted. See? I am exercising restraint here!

For some it is food, for others - booze, for me - radios.

I would think booze for you, Icon_lolIcon_lol

As of 1/01/2021

No....booze for me is a treat, not sustenance.

Tubes are on the way from my tube dealer.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Good.
I thouht you said you had 76?