Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mystery Halson radio model 15 Pg 6 electrical issues

It was easier to get all of them shipped together so I didn't have to have someone do it.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Well,

It is speaking after tubes went in.
I figured the place where antenna should go.
it is badly misaligned, so need to figure out the procedure as I have no docs.

The 6C6 that came is very strong so it makes the radio howl and whistle. Like I said, needs alignment.
And I was right about that lamp socket, needs to be insulated from the dial. It is hanging off right now.

OK, now to the Century and then alignment.

Tried alignment.
Proem is, I do not know the IF frequency of it.
I tried 470 Khz, 455 and 465khz.
With 470 I was able to peak IF, but could not align low frequency with the padder I think is the low freq trimmer for 6A7 heterodyne part. EventuallybI tuned by ear using the local strong station of known frequency (1160kHz). It works. I am sure not optimal alignment, but the local comes though well (the dial was also off by about 100khz).

I wonder if the IF is at a lower frequency and you are aligning it to a harmonic? Another possibility may be bad resistors, though you likely already too care of that, or it's possible that a fixed mica in the front end has decided to cause problems due to age? I would not beat your head against the wall on this, it's a cheap set so it it picked up whatever was local the original owner would have been happy.
Regards
Arran

Well, it has 6A7, and though ll is possible all 6A7 based superhets. I looked at have 455-470khz IF (like Philco 38-15). Also when I tried the generator first the best response I ad was about 465lh or so.

I will take one more look at padders, so far I took a guess that the tall rectangular can with to adders on top is the IF and two separate padders, one on top of the chassis and one at the back of the chassis are 1500khz and 550kz heterodyne trimmers.

I did not try to detail the sch yet, I might just for the heck of it.
I think this is a close sch enough, a Detrola.
Same tubes lineup, though the chassis is not connected to the plug directly.
The one on the right of the p1.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...003873.pdf

And really nice sch here.

http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/main.ph...alNumber=1

OK...though tube lineup is the same, this is....a superhet-regen. Like Philo 80 jr.
Wow.

I traced the backside trimmer cap to the anode of 6F6 and it goes in series into the IF can, The other side having few Ohms to Gnd.

I think it is like here

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013843.pdf

see cap 18.

Now the top chassis Padder is the low freq heterodyne adjustment.
The can top two trimmers, as I thought, are IF caps.

No wonder the back cap did not adjust the requency...not its purpose.

Though I do not think I will get stellar results, I will try one more stab at alignment.

1. 456Khz If, two trimmer in the can,
2. 550khz low side
3. 1700khz tuning cap trimmer
4. Regen birdies / motorboat borderline.

Well, what can I say....it pays to understand the schematic. Icon_smile

It aligned quite well with IF=456 kHz.
And the regen feedback cap proved to be....you guessed it, the regen feedback cap.
Behaving nicely like it should.

I never saw only the padder and no trimmer in the oscillator, so only the low side gets aligned and the high is done with the tuning gang trimmer. But the dial is colse to accurate (the dial is coarse in the first pace).

OK. I hope I am done here.
Now I can climb upon the roof.

PS. ...oh yeah, the pilot lamp socket....I leave it to Kirk, let him develop his creative side.
It will be his occupational therapy rehab. Icon_smile

Crap.

Before going tonight decided to check radios again....this one moorboats like crazy and nothing helps.

Well, it stays here then for now, will have to re-visit.

No Halson tomorrow, Kirk. Icon_sad

Maybe it was good...you would cram it in an break it (that antenna coil loox very flimsy).

I found the only 6C6 tubevin the whole of the Kutztown show, rummaging through 3 vendors' unmarked boxes with tubes with semi- or fully obliterated designators.
All I saw was 6D6 - out the wazoo, and no 6C6. Eventually I nabbed it at an old guy's box, the guy saying he had no idea what was there.

I was right, it is 6C6, as soon as I repaced it, I could quell the oscillation in regen, realigned it and recieve. Still the regen is a bit touchy, but so it was before.

Oh well...and I am sure the other tube is OK, though the grid cap is loose.