Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The radio cloth

Hi,
It may be a long shot, but still worth asking.Original cloth is in the very good condition, just weathered. Glued to the plywood removable frame. looks new from the back side. Is there any way to have it removed and flip over? I was thinking to use some steam, perhaps.Have nothing to loose, as I restore the cabinet and will need new look anyway, so if it is damaged- be it, will get the new one, but it is not the same. Any ideas? Thanks.

You can try heating the glued edges with a blow dryer. It may loosen the glue.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

If you can get the glue off , that is great but I have not been able to get it all off , ,but as you say ,if it does not work put a new cloth on.
It might be worth a try, depending on how close a pattern you can find if it does not work.

Since then I was able to remove the old fabric twice (table top sets) by gently blotting the edges with a lacquer thinner and pulling them away. The speaker side is usually not weathered and very close in pattern to the face side. I believe it could be reused.

Yes, and if there is enough length and width, the cloth may be moved a bit to displace faded areas. Some cloths were affixed with "water glass" which is soluble in, guess what? A cardboard equivalent replacement substrate can be made with patience. Even a tear or two can be fixed by a sharp eye (certainly no longer mine,) and some thread.