Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Resto pics for Tab10672

Hey,

I know you wanted to see the resto pics for the Airline and Aircastle radios, so here they are.

I fully stripped most of the veneer and did about 10 spot patches on the cabinets. I glued down all the underwood and separations. The Aircastle needed a new grill so I fashioned one and matched it. I stripped all of the old finish and gave them 2-3 coats of grain filler.

I stripped the chassis', derusted, cleaned, polished the Aircastle chassis but had to paint the Airline due to the pitting. I am in the recapping and rewiring stage for both.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

As of 1/01/2021

Wow, Kirk! Wow! Wow x 10!
Respects!

Looks great, I always liked the look of the larger one. It is nice to know they will live on rather than thrown away by someone who wouldnt take the time to repair the cabinets. I cant wait to see the finished 84

Toning the Airline today:

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Looking good!!

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

thanks Pow,
I finished her today minus the speaker I need to send out for repair.

Does this grill cloth look really bad??? please be honest.. It is the whiskey rayon but I dont know.... Maybe not in this radio...

Does anyone think I should use some contrasting toner? I think she just looks BLAH! Maybe darker on the side columns?

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

I think the original cloth was whiskey, like the 70/90 cloth.

this is the whiskey cloth. It actually is a bit different than the original. This one has smaller clusters. it is from Ken, the original in this radio is much more like the one from radiodaze but the color from radiodaze is too gold.
Dont know why this one looks green.

May have to do something about it.

As of 1/01/2021

I wish someone would try to duplicate the old 70/90 grille cloth accurately again.

The previously available replacement cloth from John at grillecloth.com was great and looked very original as to pattern and color, but the latest attempts are not even close.

I thought the green tint was just photo lighting. The original cloth for that radio was identical to the original whyskey cloth sold by grillcloth.com. What you have may be as close as you are going to get.

At one time I had an Aircastle very similar to that model. I always wondered what year it dated to?

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Yes, I have seen that model Aircastle when searching for this one online.
I like that grill more than this one.
I just don't have any love for battery sets. Icon_lol
Unless it has a working battery...

As of 1/01/2021