Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tuning Eye Help

That's the AGC action. Without an antenna, the AGC isn't in play, since all stations are weak. The radio runs in its 'full open' mode, to allow in the most signal. So, you don't see much, if any, action from the eye tube. Once you connect an antenna, the AGC starts working because of the stronger signal input. As it 'turns on', the AGC goes more negative and applies a DC voltage to the grids of one or more tubes, making them less sensitive to incoming signals. This negative DC voltage then causes your eye tube to begin to close.

Thanks Brenda!.. It's always good to learn new things about radios. I ended up disconnecting R22 and now the eye tube works exactly as needed. The set is almost finished now and I am very happy with it.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

I have had the same type of problems with the tuning eye on
various radios and if is a bright green and does not move , I wait until I align the radio and then if it still does not close properly, I start with the troubleshooting.
Glad you got it going..

Another thing to remember is the lower case "m" was also used to designate kilohms, just like the lower case "w" was used to designate Ohms.

That has fouled up many a schematic reader...

73DG

Pacing the cage...

Thanks for that info. It doesn't take much to foul me up..

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

One more possibility... Unless it's too late. Inside the tube socket cover there is usually a resistor. They OPEN UP, and the tuning eye just sits there. I don't remember the pin numbers, but it's there. It cost less than running another wire up from the chassis. I seem to remeber that the resistor sent amplified AGC voltage to the deflection plate in the tube.