Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Temple console radio

I just had an offer passed at me this evening for an big Temple console radio from around 1929-30 vintage. It has a great cabinet and works, but the speaker surround is shot. My friend is kinda wanting to trade it to me for my Radiola 62 (Brunswick) but I am not sure. I know it isn't a common radio and that 15 inch speaker is a monster for the time. It's a 9 tube set with push-pull 45's and I think it is a model 8-80 if my memory serves. Puts me in mind of a Radiola the way it is built, only more punch! Icon_eek Now, should I, or shouldn't I? Or, should I cobble together a counter-offer? Hmm....Icon_think

No matter where you go, there you are.

If it uses a leather hinge/surround at the outside of the cone on the Temple you can replace that with some car washing chamois. It kind of hard to make a call here, I think that the Radiola 62/Brunswick is a superhet so it's somewhat unique in that way, on the other hand a Temple is not a very common make as far as radios are concerned, they were more famous for manufacturing early loudspeakers then radios. Maybe you could trade him something else?
Regards
Arran