Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

TESLA 54C Yogoslav

I need schematics and any notes you might be willing to part with. Pics

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/TROG99...t=3&page=1

Hi Bradley,
You should be able to find this information on line.I have the set of manuals by Eduard Kottek and will look there but if there it will be on line too. I think it is probably the stsndard " Philips tube line up.
Henry

Bradley,
I googled Tesla 54 and it is listed in Radiomuseum as Tesla Yugoslavia and not the typical Philips line up. My Kottek manuals cover Czech Tesla radios. If I can find more info I will post where.
Good luck.
Henry

HI ,
I did not find more but Radiomuseum has your schematic so you should be in good shape.
Henry

It looks to me like the underside of the chassis is unmolested so I think you could probably work without a schematic by replacing one part at a time. The only part that you would need service info for is the alignment data, which you would not need either if the dial tracks properly across all bands.
Permeable adjusted IF cans and coils don't tend to drift as much, at least ones with proper fixed mica caps not those cheap sliver mica ones used in K-tran style mini IF cans. I do see a mica sandwich type capacitor under the chassis so it would be best to check any of those, that style of construction has a high failure rate, not so much for leakage but for drifting in value.
Yugoslavia was kind of an oddball country as I understand it, it was a dictatorship, at least a nominally Communist one, but they actually had better relations with Western governments then they did with Moscow. Unlike Poland or Czechoslovakia they were not in the Warsaw Pact nor were they a Soviet satellite state. I noticed that this set uses Swedish made paper capacitors, the resistors look almost like American/Canadian made carbon composition types so those may have been imported as well.
Regards
Arran

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/TROG99...t=3&page=1

Some close ups and the use of simple green on the outside.

Thanks for all your help.

When I was getting the radio the salesman turn on the RADIO to show me it works. It was very noisey. So I was thinking I should replace the resistors as well as. That was after my heart stopped beating fast.

Bradley,
It is so unusual to see a post on a Tesla radio that it really took me by suprise. At first I did not see that you had posted it was Yugoslav and I never looked at the chassis.
Looking now I must say that I have never seen one with Swedish wax caps or that type of carbon resistors. But I have only been in Czech Teslas.
I don't know your location or where you purchased your Tesla. My guess is that at some point your radio was upgraded with new caps and resistors. I think it originally had Tesla caps and the funny little painted resistors normally found in the Tesla radios afterall it is a Tesla. It is possible that the paticular factory where it originated was outfitted with parts from the other side of the iron curtain but I seriously doubt it. Richard Booth at Pastimes radio in the UK or other readers may be able to enlighten us better.
Don't expect to find a parts list. I have never seen one and as I said I have the Kottel manuals which cover most if not all of the Czech models.
Good Luck,
Henry

I added a few more pics

The back plate showing the Model etc.

Radiohenry I got the RADIO in here in Kosovo. The mixture of resistors interesting. The fact that the plate is in mostly in english too. I'm finding that electronics is an international language.

The transformer has an variable voltage adjustment. Look at the spring on the top. It does hold the connector together. Further it connects to the yellow wire. There is a third connector next to the spring not sure what or why?

The connectors on the rear of the chassis are made of the small brass tubes appear to allow input and output.

This is the only Tesla insides I have seen. It would be interesting to see another.

I was hoping that someone had done the hard work. I did not want to re-invent schematics or a parts list if I did not have too.

Bradley,
The schematic is there at Radiomuseum however I am not a member.Maybe someone on the forum is and can copy it for you. Good luck with a parts list I have never seen one for any Tesla.
Every one that I have seen had taps for the various voltages .
Henry

Bradley,
I just looked at the pics and I did not see where you can change the voltage. It is generally a round plug at the transformer that you pull out and rotate left or right to the appropriate voltage inicated .
Henry

Bradley,
I just got home from work. I shouldn't have gone on line this morning before going to work as I ended up rushing.
Before I forget here is a link to a Czech web site. If it works correctly for you you should see a colum of various Tesla radio model numbers.Clicking on one should give you various pictures some will include the chassis from the bottom. Although your radio is not there there is a lot of information regarding it's Czech cousins.
The link should start you off with a model 405u which I am in process of restoring.It is not my particular radio but the same model number.

http://teslaradio.webgarden.cz/rubriky/r...ndard-405u

There is a bottom chassis view.Also see the manual voltage adjustment switch.
Henry
( radiohenry@aol.com)If you want to e-mail directly.

As I look at the RADIO I see someone has worked on it. Mostly replacing resistors as I see. Trying to use older ones. Radiohenry I looked at The 605A schematic on the link you gave me. 605A appears the best looking. I think it has the same tube config.

I have tried to get on the radio museum .org. its harder than it looks I must be getting old. I need a young mind to fix the VCR on that web page. Dont mind joining just how that is done must be a secret.

Bradley,
If I remember there is a form you need to fill out and a $25 fee. As I recall it is a rather confusing thing to do. I never did.Check their home page.
Good luck,
Henry