Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scott 800B

Found this locally, 200.00. Cabinet/chassis in VERY nice shape. 24 tubes.

It was a playing set that had been refreshed by it's previous owner 20+ yeas ago. I decided to inspect the electronics anyway and replaced all electrolytics and some other components just to be sure. The Scott has nearly all metal cased caps. Very well built AND HEAVY.

Since the set was on the second floor of the previous owner's home, it was a challenge for 2-1/2 old men (I was the 1/2) to move it. I ended up removing both chassis, record player, and speaker to make it merely extremely difficult to move.

It is a very good sounding set! Color me impressed!!

Color ME jealous. Icon_smile I've spent way more than that on just the chassis'. No speaker, no cabinet, no phono. Just in the wrong place at the wrong (always) time.

Well done Sir. I have the chassis/speaker from one of these in my garage as my outside radio. There were almost 10,000 of these sold new and if you ignore the idiots on ebay with their crazy asking prices, you can usually find these in the 200-400 range for a nice one with original cabinet. I bought a Moderne blonde one last year up in Rockford off ebay. Cabinet was rougher than I thought but its a seldom seen cabinet.

My friend Keith in Des Moines is looking for the 800B cabinet slide rails for the main chassis if anyone has a set. Turns out there were several rail designs and he has a mismatch between his chassis and the cabinet.

I am somewhat jealous but only somewhat - I made a conscious decision to forgo that 800 that was sold in PA less than 100 miles from me with that other radio for as I remember about 100 bucks or so.
Still - a great find, not every day a Scott 800 appears for such an affordable price.

It's a very large cabinet and is newer (1946) than what I normally am into.

The sound and reception is excellent. I may keep it or I may not. But for now I LIKE it.

I'd be surprised if you didn't. It is Scott after all. What's not to like!

Nice find and excellent price TA. Those are hernias waiting to happen. I did install casters on mine so the base sets about 1/8" off the tile floor. Certainly makes it easier to move for floor cleaning.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Icon_clapIcon_thumbup

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jerry,

The two chassis' alone are hernias waiting to happen (or slipped discs!)

Right you are, Brenda!!!! Both chassis are VERY heavy!!!

I installed MANY felt pads under the cabinet feet in order to slide it over the hardwood floor, which in the pic is hidden under my 111 pound Chinese dog Yogi and his quilt.

Moving the set on hardwood floors is just difficult now. Originally I was going to have the set in my bedroom, but moving it across the rug in my room might prove to be my un-doing.

Brenda: the chassis is nice looking to the point that you might want to consider having it sitting exposed on top of some kind of speaker cabinet.

Scott must have been taking a page out of the Majestic handbook concerning weight! Icon_lol Still, even I wouldn't turn one down if I found one I could afford and had the space.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Mine is displayed in my garage on one of those adjustable chrome shelving units sold at Target or Lowes.
I spent 2 days cleaning the chrome on mine and I have the 15" speaker firing down to the floor on the bottom shelf.
My chassis were filthy but all that dirt preserved the chrome underneath nicely.

Great find, Tom, congrats! Icon_clap Icon_clap

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Also like the Philco parked next to it.
Nice find for sure.
murf

Where did you find the room to put it????
Nice find Tom
Rock