Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA Advertising Display Radio

A friend gave me an old RCA advertising display. It is a sign, about 3' x 4' and a little portable RCA radio that attaches to the sign. The radio is a model 6-bx-6. It's an AC/DC set with a plastic cabinet. I opened it up to see what I'm in for and it sure is tight in there!

I had to order a 100mf cap for it. It has a 4 part e-cap - 20, 20, 40 and 100. I thought about using 2 50s, but I don't think they'll fit.

I can probably get by without a schematic, but it would sure be nice to have one. Nostalgia Air doesn't have the one I need. Anyone know of any sites that carry RCA schematics (for free of course)...??

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Hey, what cha doin' posting something like this without pictures Icon_crazy 8) Icon_biggrin

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

yeah you tease you....

Ok, pictures tomorrow... I promise..

Schematic is in Beitman 1955 p. 88.

Are you using the smaller 160V (or less, depending on cap) caps?

Bob, thanks a million for that schematic! .. That will be very handy.

TA, the 100 will be a smaller 160v. I just ordered it today. The rest will be 450v simply because I already have a lot of them. They are small radials that will fit nicely, even if they are a bit of overkill. I might even restuff the original cap!

If it works it must be the right answer! Icon_thumbupIcon_biggrinIcon_wink

The reason I mentioned this is that the lower voltage-rated caps are much smaller and fit under a small ac/dc set chassis better.

After doing a Zenith T/O I became a believer in using them and now include a small number of them in my stock.

Yes, you are correct. They are a lot smaller. I regret not ordering the rest. I dunno what I was thinking... I guess I wasn't thinking. Oh well, too late now and if I order more, they'll hit me with another shipping charge. ''

Here is a the promised photo... it's a cool item. I hope to make it all look new.

That's very cool!

Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

That is very nice. I'm jealous.
There was a Sylvania cutout with a woman and a Philco console on the bay recently but I think it was a repro.
Henry

Thanks. Looking at the sign, I can't help but think that I've never gotten a smootch for listening to my radios. But, then again, I don't usually dress as smart as that fella. Icon_lol

Very nice addition to anyones radio collection. A very nice find. Thanks for poting a picture.

I'm still waiting on caps. Canada post seems to be unpredictable. I've ordered from Just Radios before and had it arrive 5 days later, but this time it's taking a while. I'll post another pic once it's all finished up.