Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun

I dont know what to do! need opinions please...

I got this LC 759 yesterday and was going to use it as a veneer donor but I was looking at it this morning and the cabinet is really nice. The veneer is so nice I started stripping the drawer and top. the phonograph is missing and the bottom legs will need veneer work but the rest is solid and without damage. I have no room for it so I would end up selling it but these dont seem to have any value and it will be a lot of work and use a lot of supplies and time.

Please give me your opinions.

Worth restoring?
Parts cabinet?
Restore?

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Hmm, it would all depend on how good a performer this unit would be. What make is it? Also, is it pre-war or post? It does have a nice look to it the way that grill is designed and I'm sure a donor phonograph could be found or even made to work with this unit.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Due to my space limitations I would part it out.

Gregb

I have sold a few of these. If you like working for nothing and posting CL adds forever, by all means. fix it up. Otherwise you are already on the right track.

Or you could add a room to you house. OR send it to a relative - I have used that one.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

It is a GE LC-759 and I am wrenched over what to do. I dont mind working for free. I do it all the time.

I wish someone would take it from me, lol
I just dont want to destroy it but I just cant fit it. If it had the correct phono I MAY have tried to make room.

Why is there not 1 single photo of one anywhere!

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

I would rather you repurposed the cabinet than trashed it...

If nothing else, put the TV on top and you have a spot for a cable box etc... And a sub woofer would fit nice in there. Icon_smile

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

Ah, it's a prewar console with 7 tubes and push-pull 6V6 outputs. Not too bad of a set then. I'd probably save it, as prewar radio-phono sets don't pop up often in my area and they at least take up less room than their post-war counterparts. I tried looking for a picture and only found a black and white one on the radio museum site. Hmm...

No matter where you go, there you are.

No pictures.... That means it is super rare!
I sent a few pictures to the radio museum so we will see what happens.
I think it is getting restored but I would really want an original phonograph.
I posted this same question on another board (yes I am cheating on you guys) and everyone says restore it.
I will never repurpose antique radios so that is out...
I will strip it today and if it looks awesome I will do something with it.
I really need a true unsalvageable crap condition falling apart missing the radio cabinet to use for the veneer.
Question:
Is this cabinet burled walnut?

As of 1/01/2021

Perfect veneer donor. You'll be glad you did it, just as soon as you need some veneer. There are better radios out there that require your time.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Well,
With my pity for this piece I have decided to restore it even without the phonograph. I have been working since last night and here is the outcome so far.

As of 1/01/2021

It's looking a lot better.

Wow.. that's amazing. The cabinet is beautiful. Good choice to restore it.Icon_smile

It looks really nice so far. As far as working for free... I have restored a few radios that I had really no intention of keeping, and I knew they would not sell for much more than I paid, but I did it just for the challenge, and as a pass-time.

But also, in some way, as a service to the radio it self, and to the hobby. I know that someone will look at and maybe listen (if there are any stations left) to the radio long after I have passed away.
You are preserving a little piece of history my friend. And doing a great job.

Exactly!, I cant let the history go... This was made to last and has. It has been messed with but is solid and still beautiful

My question is this:

Do I tone this piece?
The bottom was darker and the grill bars. Someone covered the whole thing with colored lacquer long ago but underneath it looked darker in spots.

Do I just lacquer it as is with a gloss coat?

There is not one picture online so I have nothing to go by.

As of 1/01/2021

That set has some beautiful veneers. The schematic located here:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...008229.pdf

Indicates it used an Automatic Record Changer Model LRP-170 and is supposed to be listed in Rider's Automatic Record Changers and Recorders.

You might not find the exact changer for this, but should be able to find something that fits and looks correct in there.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"