Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun

Dont worry if the equipment does not have any manuals or data sheets, you can download almost anything you need from B.A.M.A.

I finally found one!
This person is selling the whole thing or parting it out. I wish I were closer but there is nooooo way I could do a 3 hour drive each way. I need those knobs, the phonograph, the wooden door pulls and really the whole thing so I know how to wire mine, Icon_lol
I offered mine for sale locally and could not get $200 so there is no way I would pay $125 plus shipping for the parts.

Just surprised I found one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-GE-Tube-Radi...4d200dd1d1

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Pickup is even more expensive.
I was picking up the 37-116 and it is 200 miles exactly one way so at 20 miles a gallon this is 20 gallons at $3.50 = $70. And from your place this is a real pain as I drive open highways and you have to go though NYC highways which alone can add 2hrs to your trip.

Great job another radio saved what a beautiful one it is.
My Wife says Jamie looks like Robert Redford.

You can get a fairly serviceable digital multimeter from fleabay or from an outfit like Harbor Freight, for under $30, the ones I get typically come from a Canadian Tire Store, on sale for under $20. Signal generators are a dime a dozen, they turn up at ham fests, flea markets, craigslist, and even at garage sales, the thing is that they usually need a rebuild by now much like the radios. Unless one is a modern lab grade unit I would not pay more then $15 for one, most were given to me by people who were junking out. Vacuum tube voltohm meter are useful, those can usually be found in the same places as the signal generators, same with most test equipment.
Tube testers turn up fairly regularly but fleabay is not the place to get one. Emission testers will not tell you everything but decent ones will tell you is a tube is a dud or shorted. For some reason the audiophools believe that you need a mutual conductance tester but those are really of minimal value for audio tubes. You don't need an isolation transformer for an AC set with a power transformer, maybe AC/DC radios if you intend to work on enough of them, I don't but some do. You already have a variac, or an autotransformer as you called it, those are a very useful thing to have for slowly powering up a radio.
Units like this G.E combo unit are the types I usually avoid, especially if they are incomplete. They are truly hogs for floor space, the general layouts are pretty much alike regardless of brand, and the record players usually need an overhaul which can get expensive. Because of this they aren't really in high demand, even the better units. You could just right this off to experience, or post an ad on the alternative forum looking for a junker for parts.
I hate the so called "repurposing" butchery a lot of morons pull today, usually very badly, but I think that a combo unit with a junk or missing changer is a good candidate to convert into a bar radio. Take the changer drawer out, and built a new one with holes for glassware and bottles (if there is enough room) to go where the changer used to live.
Regards
Arran

radio bar huh...

Maybe but I'd hate to change the originality.

I'll have to draw up some plans but the space is very limited inside the drawer.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Well since you have the changer now there isn't really much point, but there are plenty of combo units that either have no changer in them or have a more modern one installed rather badly from the 1960s or 70s. There is one on one of the regional Craigslist sites that would have room, the compartment is much larger, it's probably from the early 50s. However the moron who has it thinks that it's worth $100 or more even though he got it for free, also on craigslist. Somehow it didn't dawn on him that if it were worth anything that he would not have got it for free on CL in the first place.
Regards
Arran

I don't have the changer. It is in Conn. and I cant get there. They want $40 for the changer plus shipping. The whole thing is not worth that.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Well it finally worked out!

The seller parted it out and sold me the knobs and the record player for $48.15 shipped!

Now all I need is a miracle to rewire it in....  Icon_rolleyes

I am very happy even if it is not working. It is complete and thats good for now.

Kirk

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231342760514?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

As of 1/01/2021

Can be used for a microwave, that has no turntable.

kirk
if you can`t get rid of it why buy more parts for it

No turntable? I see a turntable on it, am I wrong?

I want it to be complete even if I cant get rid of it.. It's a mental thing i guess?

As of 1/01/2021

I know this is an old thread, but it is the first time I have seen GE LC-759 and it looks almost identical to my GE LC-758.  I have one in my workspace that needs some cabinet work and a recap as well.  I can see if I can get some pictures of the chassis underside if you need some more information for wiring.  Don't know if I can help much on the phono side as mine has been hacked and replaced with a RCA model that does not fit very well.

Thanks for the offer but I think I am done with it, Icon_lol
The phono hookup is the only thing I cant figure out. Chassis recap is not that bad but if it does not at least show power going to the radio then I dont usually bother. I had been trying to sell it for months and could not even get what I have into it so I put it in the den as a TV stand.
I hope your restoration works out.
If you need any comparison pics I should be able to get some.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021