Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun

Thanks Ness,

That will help the search. I found this one with a record player local but have to see if it will fit.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

According to the GE manual:
LC-759 has Mahogany veneer
LC-759B has Blonde Mahogany veneer.
LC-768 has Walnut veneer.
The picture although in black and white looks pretty dark. If it were me, I'd darken it just a touch to make it look more aged, then apply the gloss.

This is a beautiful set, and you have done the cabinet justice! Fix the radio! Down the road you could consider blasphemous repurposing like installing a subwoofer in the bottom and for your home theatre and making the top half a liquor cabinet Whatever, don't toss it, please!

Ok Codefox,
You want it? You are local, lol

I purchased this local record player to use in the GE so we will see what happens. Then I can use the cabinet for the veneer.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

You're going to tear up a Philco to fix a GE??

Wrong forum Icon_razz

Good luck, anyway Icon_biggrin

I thought about it but cant do it. I want a GE changer. what the heck will I do with the philco now? Maybe I'll bring it to the radio meet tomorrow!
Hopefully I get some goodies.

As of 1/01/2021

I finished the console today. Now to find it a home.

As of 1/01/2021

That turned out very nice Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Did you find a GE for the phonograph? Either way, it looks original.
The finish really brings out the figure in the veneer. Good job on the restoration, I usually buy the more modern/square sets like that and the 60's-70's floor models that nobody else at the
auction wants for cheap so I can let it set in the rain untill I can salvage the peeling veneer, but now I might have second thoughts after seeing how nice that one turned out.
Again...nice job

Todd

Woderful restoration, an inspiration to us all!

Great job! Looks really good. I'd have a hard time giving it up if I were you.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Id love to keep it but my house is being rebuilt and I am in the basement of my parents home with everything I own in the garage. There is just no room for it.

As for the GE phono I don't think the one in it is GE. I have no idea how to connect the phono and the radio is not currently working except for the dial lamps.

I am going to list it on craigslist for a while and see if I can get some money to put towards new radios.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

That looks amazing! Great job.

Well, get in there and FIX that radio!... You've got a bunch of people around here that will help you out. Trust me, if I can learn how to do it, anyone can! Get a schematic, get a volt meter, figure out where and what values for the e-caps.... Heck, if you get confused, send me a PM. I'll try to help you over the phone.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Thank you for the offer but this one is beyond me. Too many unhooked wires and if it dont play now it wont play when it is recapped. I have no tools to test anything else. Just my handy meter.
I think a tube is bad since it did not light up and there is stuff rattling inside it. Icon_lol

As of 1/01/2021