Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun

Unhooked wires are the perfect excuse to learn how to read a schematic! It seems impossible at first, but once you do it, you'll realize that it isn't hard at all. Kind of like when you were a kid, trying to tie yours shoelaces. I remember my breakthrough... I had a Philco 620 that hummed no matter what I did. Mondial, Brenda and Morzh walked me through finding the wiring error. At that point, it was like everything became clear. You can fix it!

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Instead of buying another radio you wont be able to electronicly repair, put the money into test equipment that would make future radio projects eisier to work on.

Maybe when I get a little better I can try this radio wiring but I have others that would be easier to learn on.

Yes Todd, that is my plan. I am buying a tube tester and looking into other tools.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Get a good tube tester with sockets for all kinds of tubes. Don't make the mistake of getting a small tester with only four or five sockets (don't ask me how I know this). Icon_smile

You will need -
Tube Tester - $120
DMM (Digital Multi-meter) - $45
Signal Generator - $50
Isolation Transformer (or a dim bulb tester, if money is tight) - $50

About $275

Also good to have -
Variac - $50
Vacuum Tube Volt Meter - $30
decent soldering station - $100
heat gun - $30

All totalled, less than $500 (Ebay prices! .. Much much less if you find it on CL or estate sales). If I forgot anything, please remind me.

Your cabinet repair is excellent, but there is nothing like knowing you can fix most any radio. I used to just focus on cabinets too, but once I got the hang of the electronics, my enjoyment of the hobby quadrupled (and I still have a LOT to learn). Don't be intimidated by any radio... jump right in there and get to work. You will surprise yourself. You're a smart guy, you will learn quickly.

You will only "get better" by working on the tough jobs. You can already do "easy" radios. That radio has loose wires? Pick a known point, any point - a tube, a control knob, the power cord - find it on the schematic and use a highlighter to trace it out, correcting errors as you go, checking resistors, replacing caps. It sounds like a real chore, but it isn't. And the first time you flip the switch and that radio plays... and you know YOU did it - there is nothing like it. You did a BEAUTIFUL job refinishing that set... it deserves an equal electronic restoration. You can do it.

A signal tracer is nice to have also. For those you have restored but still wont work.

I would put a frequency counter under good to have.

I would restore her and see how she sounds when completed. You could always put it up for sale on the forums page. I would really not like to see it get parted out. Just my 2 cents, If it means anything.

She will definitely not be parted out. I would never part out a radio survivor.

Problem is I have 2 PT-69's, an 84B, a Transitone, a 45, a 62, a Crosley, 2 Halsons, a Halli S-40B, and the GE LC-759 that all need electrical help. Some are dead, some are half alive and hum, some light up but nothing else.

I will have to put the names in a hat and pick one at random to begin my electronic journey.

If I make it to Kutztown I will look for all the test equipment.

What are the they in order of most important?

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

In my opinion....
1-tube tester,
2-signal tracer,
3-signal generator,
4-analog meter (cheapest/easiest piece of equipment to peak alignment, for me anyway)
I left out the most important because I know you have one..digital meter

Keep in mind that just like the radios most equipment you find at the meets will need restored-caps,resistors etc.

I agree with Tab, but don't forget the safety items - Isolation transformer and a variac. I use both on every single radio I work on.

The expense of technical equipment seems like a lot, but remember - you will use these items on every radio. These tools will last forever too. Once you buy them, you are set up for a long time. Get good ones and learn how to use them. Instead of buying more radios, start buying these items.

Yeah Kirk, if you're going to delay the purchase of variac at least build a simple and inexpensive DIM BULB tester:

http://www.antiqueradio.org/dimbulb.htm

That might save you from frying a power transformer due to bad or incorrectly installed capacitors or other components.

An isolation transformer is not a bad idea either, especially if you start working on sets without a power transformer. If you can find a good buy on a BK Precision 1655 or a Sencore PR57 these combine a variac and isolation transformer into one unit (with handy built-in metering).

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

If you happen upon some old fashioned analog ammeters, they're great, I have 100ma,500 ma, 1 amp, 3 amp DC meters, and a couple of AC versions which I haven't used in years. Put appropriate range meter at head of the voltage divider circuit and you can find out in seconds whether you have a problem, in which case, shut down immediately.

I got this offer today but have no idea what the heck he is offering, lol

He said:
I have an Eico model 625 tube tester a Eico model 324 gen. an Eico model 147a signal tracer with a new heathkit model pk3 probe. and a galaxy mic tester mt plus. all .have manuals and work good. Will sale all together . 350.00 plus shiping

Are these good models and is the price good?

As of 1/01/2021

Seems way too expensive to me. Maybe $200 for everything.

Look for a "mutual conductance" tube tester instead of an "emissions" tester. They are a little more expensive but they will find problems with tubes the an emission tester wont. A mc tester can also test emission but an emission tester may say the tube is 100% but the tube may fail under operation which would make you think something else is wrong with the radio.