Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Capacitor replacement question

17y (.03) goes to the tone control switch. Just because the other cap goes to the 5Z4, the schematic may not show a direct point A to B link. The 5Z4 pin may have been the closest B- (or whatever) to tie into. But if you trace that cap from all the connections you will find a lead somewhere on the scematic that will tie them together as it is in the radio. Also sometimes when a tube doesnt use all the pins then the unused lug at the tube socket may be used as a junction terminal.

If you look at the parts list on the second page it shows that 17Y is the .03 and 17Z is the .006. Can you read the schematic well enough to see that 17Y goes to the tone control (#39, also shown in the parts list)? Not trying to be a smart @@@, just pointing out some things to help you in the future.

The problem with these forums is it's hard to get a feel for what someone actually knows. If you assume too much it goes over their head, if you assume too little they sometimes get offended and it takes a lot of typing. Some of the things you're struggling with could be cleared up in just a few hours of one-on-one live instruction where you could ask questions. Similar to what you could do for those needing refinishing advice.

Hang in there, you're learning fast Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Yes I do see that the tone control connects directly to the 17y

Now I have looked at the schematic for a while and do really wish i could get hands on training. I just cant seem to get it.

From what I see,
1. 15AY and 15AZ are both .02,
2. 15BY and 15BZ are .02,
3. Now 12Y and 12Z are .00017 and .006 and I think 12Y goes strait to a 100,000 OHM resistor.

Am I correct so far? Icon_crazy

4. 13Z and 13Y and .001 and .03 and 13Y goes to the volume control pot?

Sorry for so many questions but I dont want to burn upall the new tubes I just bought, Icon_lol

ME

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I had one of those dual caps in my recent 624 restore.. it was even in a really annoyingly tight place under the antenna coil. I spaced out on how to replace it too! ;-)

If you look at the schematic you can trace 13y straight to 42y (volume controle)

Kirk, there is a fellow who posts videos on YouTube that cover his radio restorations. He goes into a lot of detail on every step he takes, from first pulling off the knobs, reading a schematic, tracing out connections, replacing parts to final alignment. He explains everything in very simple language. When I first began messing with old radios, his videos were an invaluable source of information...

Here is a link to a series he did on a Philco 630B. It is a 35 part series, but it is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IelT-Qp13po

He also posts on the forums, so if you have a question, you can ask him. Really good guy!

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)