Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What have I taken on! Silvertone 45 Restoration FINISHED

wait!

You did not tell us where to send flowers!

....try it now.
Kidding, right?

At least save it 'till the 4th, then it will look and sound appropriate Icon_lol

Hey Kirk, I know you love a challenge, but with the mouse evidence in there please take precautions against HPS (Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome). Not sure where the radio came from, and the infection rate seems to vary from state to state, but here is a link to some more info:

http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/

I always blew that stuff off until a collector told us about a friend who died from HPS after messing with a chassis that had been mouse infested. Not suggesting collectors go wild and start wearing hazmat suits, but we should be aware of where the chassis we mess with came from and that according to the CDC, "The virus, which is shed in the saliva and excreta of the deer mouse, is rather fragile, and can only survive for about 72 hours in air and sunlight. After that period, the virus becomes inactivated."

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I remember warning someone here about it some less than a year ago.
The cabin fever is another name for it.

Well I certainly understand taking on a challenge. I agree with working on radios helps keep the brain working etc. I just don't see what it is that is worth saving on this radio.
But good luck Kirk this certainly will test your ability.
Henry

I'll bring the marshmallows.
Should be an easy fire to start.
murf

Aside from taking precautions due to all the mouse residue I think that will be a pretty cool radio when finished. Taken as a whole it does look like a daunting task but broken up in smaller chunks, with Kirk's skills, I think it is doable.

Even the chassis, as bad as it looks might not be as impossible as it seems, especially if a parts chassis is eventually located. Cube sets similar to this are very popular, and with that dial and the speaker location this one is a bit different from all of the others I've seen.

Kirk, is there a name on the dial or back of the chassis?

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

it is a Silvertone silver bell model 45. I have been told I see things differently than others. I see what it will be and not what it is. This is only the second one of these radios I have ever seen so it needs to be saved.
even if saving it only means that the sides and bottom will be original. When she is complete depending on how she comes out I may just have someone do the chassis. Just some caps, resistors, 2 new coils and an 80 tube, how hard can it be? Icon_lol

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Quote:Silvertone silver bell model 45
Hey, that is a pretty rare bird!

Apparently they were made in California by Mission Bell for the Sears brand to be sold in California. I'll look through my Floyd Paul archives for any info I can find for you. Great score Kirk!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

WOW Kirk, Even my 90 and RCA 128 are in much better condition than that !!
I have to see what you do with this one !!!
Rock

I didn't find any info in my Floyd Paul literature but I did find the following website that has some good info on these rare radios:

http://sfhobbies.com/sfhobbies/radio/Cal.../index.jsp

Looks like they have a red version of your 45 pictured, but it might not be original.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

He's got more ambition than I!
Can't wait to see it done

Tim

yes that is the one, that red painted one. wish there was a picture of it from the top.

thanks for looking it up Ness

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

I got to working on the cabinet today and pulled apart the cabinet. next is to cut a new front from 1/4 A/B ply.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Geez Kirk, you sure don't waste any time!

I might have found the owner of the other radio. If it is a good e-mail address he might send more pictures including the top.....

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Icon_e_confused
Yah! How much coffee to you drink?