Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What have I taken on! Silvertone 45 Restoration FINISHED

I drink a little coffee! and 5 hour energy

Today I decided to make the other top side molding.
I used a chisel at first but then quickly decided to use my saw. After 25 minutes digging it out I cut a piece to size and began mimicking the left side piece. Very tedious but came out good.

Some stain and tiny bits of filler should match it well.

I then began fine sanding the cabinet sides and rebuilt the cabinet parts that I had. Next I will build the front and top and then veneer the entire thing.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Today I got my 1/8 bending ply or wiggle board and began the slow slooooow process of fitting it to the face and curve. clamped it, wet it, bent it, clamped it, wet it, bent it, clamped it, wet it, bent it.

I used a heat gun for a while and then when it was finally at the proper curve, I weighed it down with my variac and will leave it for a day or so.

Then I will do the final adjustments for fit, glue down a sheet of veneer, draw the front grill pattern with face/knob holes and jig saw out.

Sounds easy right? Icon_lolIcon_lolIcon_crazy

As of 1/01/2021

This morning I took off the front and top and Got out my new 4x8 sheet of walnut veneer. It has a beautiful grain pattern so I cut out the piece and glued it down. I weighted it with 6 heave tiles. I used to use fat blocks but my back doesn't like lifting that anymore.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

took out the newly veneered front panel and traced out the original grill, shaft holes and dial hole. Was gonna cut them out but decided to press the veneer until tomorrow.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Today was cutting day,
Cut out the grill work and the other holes. I am not too great on the Jig so I had to use the file down method for the rest. I glued up the cabinet and tomorrow I will start very carefully and slowly.... Icon_exclaim Moistening and bending the ply over the curve.

If I mess this up I will.... I dont know but it will be bad Icon_mad

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Wow... hey, I may have a project for you. I need to replace the outer trim on the face of my GE J-100. I am NOT good with drawing, jigsaws, or any of that neat stuff. I'd be happy to pay you to make a new piece for it.

This is what mine looks like (guess it needs the side bottom moldings, too):

This is what it's SUPPOSED to look like:

I did get off most of the ugly black paint..

I dont have the tools for the routing. Well I do but they are in my shop and my shop is filled with my house stuff till my house is done being renovated.
But I would not be able to make the intricate detail anyway.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Are you going to add those 1/2 inch strips of inlay on the front panel like the original? The way they used to curve panels like that was to cut out a channel or a series of curfs right where they intended to make the bend, sometimes they would cut about 1/2 (or more) the thickness away from the back side then the better cabinet makers would glue a strip of veneer over the curfed area, once it was bent, to strengthen it
The thing that scares me about this radio isn't the cabinet, it's that one coil on top of the chassis that the rats used to trim their teeth.
Regards
Arran

Keep up the good work, Kirk!!

Icon_thumbupIcon_clapIcon_wave

yes the cabinet is going to have the trim just like the original. I tried kerfs but with such thin ply it cracked every time. It is bending ply so I should not need the cuts since the grains all run in the same direction.

Thanks TA, I hope it come out right when I bend it.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

I got to bending today and have been having trouble with the veneer showing line fractures. I decided to try kerfing a bit and it seemed to help. Over the few hours I bent it slowly with moisture and heat. It has formed to the bend with minimal fractures. I may have to veneer over it again when it is fully settled.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Looking good Kirk!
Is your last name "clampit?"

Tim

No,
I will have to do one more clamping when I glue her down.

As of 1/01/2021

MAN YOU DO GOOD WORK!!!