Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I got one!

Finally found an AK 'little stove'! A model 53. Actually stumbled on this at an antique mall I usually never find anything of interest in this afternoon. Other than the missing fine tuning knob it appears complete. Tuner is currently stuck, but I don't see any serious damage inside.

No matter where you go, there you are.

nice project, Looks heavy

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Keep the stove but find a radio chassis that is less rusted.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Most AKs you find around here have some rust on the inside. It's that wonderful, humid Ohio air. I doubt finding another complete chassis is going to happen as this one is a bit different from the AK breadboxes I have lying around. For one thing, this unit has a regular electro-dynamic speaker, not the early high-impedance units. It's an eight tube chassis that appears to use push-pull 71's as outputs. Also, I think the 'chassis' is actually part of the cabinet. It appears you can pull out the RF deck and transformer deck separately, but that's it. Actually, it looks like getting the parts out might be a real pill. The original AK instructions even mentions having to cut some wires! Eek!

Not so long ago Terry got one.

Good score! Those are not seen everyday so you did well. I like small funky consoles like those.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Large knob on left is from an earlier AK set.

Heavy ain't it!!!!
Terry

Yep it IS heavy. I was wondering about the knob. I wonder if the spare knob from my parts 42 might be a better match or just leave it be?

Wow nice tind! But I would not liked to be zapped Leaning on a all metal radio if the electronic was not up to par....Wow wee...

I think the AK-42 knob would work.

A picture with the correct knobs now installed. Makes the radio look a good bit different. Also, got the tuner sort of loose. Two of the gangs turn, but the drive belt for the third is damaged and it appears someone has loosed the nut on the back, causing all the plates to become mis-aligned! Oh well, that can be corrected and maybe a full tuner alignment will help with performance. Oh, the transformer appears good, so major plus there! Icon_thumbup

If you need a new belt Adams sells replacement bronze belts for A.K.'s:

http://www.adamsradio.com/

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thanks! I'll have to see if the broken belt is the long or short one.