Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Atwater Kent 84

There is a set available, regular thing, hum, etc,etc. Cabinet appears to be easily restored. I think I can get it for less than $200.00.Do not know much about those sets. Opinions?
Thanks in advance.

The AK 84 was their first cathedral style radio, and while not as ornate as later offerings such as the model 82, it is still considered a beautiful cabinet.

Price is dependent on condition of chassis and cabinet, and I'm not sure what you consider "easily restored", but in decent shape under $200 sounds like a very good price.

I would not plug it in again until, at the least, the filter capacitors are replaced, or that hum may turn into a transformer smoking. Good luck, the AK 84 is a very nice radio and one of my favorites.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Agree, a model 84 in decent shape is worth 200.00

If it is in decent shape.....I have not seen any below 300 on eBay and in Kutztown they were $350 the lowest; none sold though but the owners do stick by the price and won't budge.

So....yes, below $200 seems like a good deal.

Which manufacturer supplied tubes for AK 84? I have some 24 and 27 but they are Philco.

I think they usually used Cunningham tubes, but that probably would not have been an absolute rule.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

I had heard that AK used both RCA and Cunningham. Same tubes.

One thing to watch for on some of the A.K cathedrals are bad power transformers, I can't remember whether a model 84 is one of them or not. With luck the one in this set may have been replaced, rewound, or may be a 25 cycle one.
Regards
Arran

If I have an original weak globe RCA 80 and instead of paying for the single tube almost 1/3 of the radio price went with a full wave diode rectifier under the chassis (keeping the tube as a decorative, lit filament piece, of course), which diodes(##) are most suitable for an application?
That is if someone have already done so. Thanks.

I would not recommend it. First, the diodes have a very low forward drop, so unless you add series resistors you will end up with high B+ voltage. The tube 80 also acts as sort of a fuse, in that under momentary overload it will limit the transformer current to a safer value than a silicon diode. With a short on the B+ line the plates of the 80 may glow red, but if shut off quickly, likely no damage will result.

How bad is your 80? Sometimes a weak 80 still has enough emission to provide rated B+ voltage to the radio, especially with today's higher line voltage

Personally I wouldn't bother doing that with a tube as readily available as an 80. You can get a new 80 for $12 or good used for $6:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...0foD#gid=4

It won't be a globe but it won't require kludging in diodes and resistors under the chassis either. Keep your eyes open and you'll eventually find a good globe 80 on eBay, a radio meet, an old parts set, or a wanted ad. There is no shortage of globe 80's out there if you're patient.

I'd also measure B+ with a good 80 and then your weak one; often a weak 80 isn't that far off, depending on the parameters of the tube tester used.

If you're still determined you can use two 1N4007's and a wire wound resistor to drop the B+ down to what it measures with a known good 80 in the circuit.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

It is in the yellow field, about 55-56.I have not tried it yet on this radio. So, if the B+ within a spec.,I can use it, right?
But the diodes are definitely out. Hiding tiny diodes is one thing, but the wire resistor...
Thanks, guys.

Yes, it should be fine if the B+ is OK. Just make sure you change out the filter and paper capacitors before firing it up.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY