Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Victor model R-7-A tombstone.

And the radio that won my money today is... this! Actually does work, but had a very amatuer restoration done to it years ago. This is the Canadian version of the RCA R-7-A using eight tubes with push-pull 47's. Gets quite loud and sounds pretty good. Only issues are that the dial control slips, the speaker wires are patched together, and of course it has the wrong knobs. Also, I think it will get an alignment in the near future as I want to give it a clean bill of health and correct the visible issues before using it much. This thing weighs about as much as my Majestic 20/21 tombstone, though is in much better shape. I would think the performance between the two would be similar.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Dial drive on these is a problem. It uses a rubber grommet on the tuning knob shaft to rotate the dial. The rubber hardens and dries out, causing the drive to slip.

As I remember, I wrapped some black friction tape on my grommet to restore operation. Not the best solution but ti seems to work.

I have the earlier R-7 with the P-P 45's.

That was something that they did in Canada for a while, they sold the same sets under the RCA and the Victor name plates up until 1934-35 or so. The chassis is likely identical to the one in my C.G.E S42-A, the S42 used push pull #45s, the S42-A used push-pull 47s and had a number of component value changes to go along with it. These sets used a potted can for the bypass condensers, but it used a pair of Mershon wet electrolytics for filter condensers, the output transformer and the audio interstage are potted inside the larger can. They also use a multitude of B.E.D code dog bone style resistors that will need to be checked and likely replaced. If you need the service data I have the info printed out of the Canadian G.E manual, including the parts list.
Regards
Arran

The R7A is TOUGH to restore. Take your time and diagram everything.

Thanks, I will be careful. It looks like most of the heavy work has already been done. Won't know until I pull the chassis though.

Cabinet looks like a strait shot to restore. keep us updated. If you don't want the crosley knobs let me know.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Yes, I was going to mention that, the original knobs were just some generic looking wood knobs, with domed ends, no carving.
Regards
Arran

I would gladly donate the Crosley knobs.. heck I could use two of them myself! Sadly, all three have been broken and glued back together. I was wondering about the wooden knobs. Generic I can work with! Icon_smile

Jayce, take a look at Ed's knobs. p/n KRCA11. renovatedradios.com

Thanks! I'll give that a check tomorrow! Icon_smile