Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silvertone 45 chassis

Was about to suggest the merging, thanks, otherwise would be confuing.

As for the coil, I hope this is the only one damaged, as the other one on top was chewed on a little too.
I will try to do the reverse engineering but first need to make sure the transformer is good, otherwise this chassis will be too much. If OK, then I will try to use the length of the wire and the bobbin diameter to see how many turns we need.
Then I will try to locate the coil in the sch, estimate the value, wind the coil, check it on my LCR meter....it will be interesting. If this is the only major poblem.

OK. Let me describe more of the sorry shape we are enjoying here.

1. IF transformer coil between 6D6 and det 75, the primary of it, is open. Good news is, it simply tore of, I was able to locate the stub and unwind it a bit, it is a litz, so the coil is good, need to restore the wire. Otherwise would be bad, those criss-cross wound waxed litz coils are bad to restore. I suspect a certain someone whose name we will not mention tore it while trying to recap. This is not likely to break by itself.

2. The rat eaten one.....it has to coils, I was hoping it were one, it is the antenna transformer. Both damaged.
3. The 3 section coil on top, the large section damaged.
4. The 6D6 tube was broken. Not just that, I was going a bit nuts trying to figure wiing only to realize that someone, who we will not name, swapped the 6D6 and 75 so the wiring didn't jibe.

The tube is a minor thing, but three coils are a serious hurdle.

I did not break any wires  Icon_mad The mouse did it.

I told you I screwed up the tubes so   Icon_silent

You are doing a fine job!  Icon_clap

Is it playing yet?  Icon_lol

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I suggest we get another radio to play..at its funeral Icon_lol

Mouse...yeah, right....keep blaming the mouse. The dead can't defend themselves.

Well, I was hoping the transformer would be dead too, just having croaked long time ago from helplessly watching those mice dining on the coils....sowe could give this chassis a decent burial or maybe use it as an organ donor so others may live....but no, no such luck. The transformer is good.
It is like a brain-dead patient with a perfectly good heart.

Well, these are trifles....

El. caps.....
The wire's insulation is all broken.....

A wire soldered very close to the GND lug....

The wire is one of Mains 110V power ones.

Icon_mrgreen

Well, compared to the rats' having feast on the coils, this is nothing really.....

Illustration to yesterday's post

This is the open wire from IF coil.

This is the rat's dinner leftovers....

Where can I get those eyelets with lugs that clip on coil bobbins?
I will need to make a new bobbin for the coil that's been eaten. The one Kirk got is too large pls it has only two lugs in wrong places.

Good news is, one winding actually survived so I knof how many turns and the direction.
The other is destroyed but it seems to me I can see the direction and where it went, and since the wire was not eaten, I could try to estimate the wire length and hence the turns.

But I need those lugs. If anyone has them, coud you give me some and then put it on Kirk's tab? Icon_lol Icon_mrgreen

Boy 'm I having fun or what....

Playing that game are we?

Anyone got 11 cans of toner, 14 cans of lacquer, and a Qt of grain filler to put on Mikes Tab?

Earn your money boy! Icon_mrgreen

Looking good Mike, take a break once in a while, I dont want you to burn out....before it is done. Icon_lol

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

I don't have any eyelets, but you might try Michael's or some other craft store, also McMaster-Carr has some but I'm not sure if they're the right size or not.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#two-piece-grommets/=vx69la

eBay has a ton of them but you have to sort through 5,000 listings and most will take two weeks to get here from China.

As far as eyelets with lugs you might have to get creative or rob some from another coil.  Back in the motherland didn't you have to use sardine cans and old shoelaces to build radios, telephones, and other stuff?   Icon_e_wink  Icon_lol  Icon_mrgreen

Doesn't it feel good bringing back such a rare chassis back to life for your BFF Kirk?

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

mike
could you use another coil say Emerson unwind an redo ?
whats the diameter and length ?
sam 

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

BFF?

Dont know where you got that impression Icon_lol

Let me know what you need and I will look for them Mike

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Sam,
yes as long as it has enough lugs.
The diameter is 1".
I think I can try to mangle that one Kirk mooched off of someone on ARF Icon_smile Icon_mrgreen but will have to drill holes and such.....

John

Those in McMaster start with 0.425" external diam., which is hyoooge....will have to hit Michaels when the weather will improve...if ever... Icon_smile

OK, built the bobbin, will salvage lugs, just need eylets.
The weather today precludes me from going to Michaels.

What is the outside diameter of the original coil form? I found something here that looks similar and is fairly stiff also thick walled, the cardboard tube from inside a roll of kitchen wrap or aluminum foil, I think they may be between 3/4''- 7/8'' O.D. I saved some of those for making larger capacitor tubes.
Regards
Arran