Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I keep buying consoles

Now that I have recapped the set and replace the crumbling wires
the radio works very well.. I did have a challenge with the tuning bulb. On these radios the bulb goes dim when you are in a station and gets brighter when you are off the station.
It take s 24 volt bulb and I did have some ..after quite a bit of experimenting I found that the bulb needed was 30 MA. Now it works fine.. Before stripping the cabinet I am going to clean it with GOJO and see how it looks.
It has the original finish and I would like to keep it if I can.
The tuning dial is quite unique, The whole assembly rotates as you turn the knob, and there are four bulbs that rotate with it .. When you choose a new band a different bulb lights up and shines through the rotating dial. Besides that , there are four dial lights.
I am happy that I did not have to take this apart.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dan, do you have a source for those 24 volt 30ma bulbs?

Gregb

I am going to check out my sources and see where I bought this one.
I have tried industrial electrical suppliers in the past.
The one I am thinking of did have 24 volt bulbs but I don't know the MA.. I will check into it and post here on the forum.. Dan

I did some research for those bulbs and I found a place called Bulb Town...www.bulbtown.com. I can get the bulbs and they cost $8.64 Canadian for 5 bulbs. I was going order 5 but the shipping came to over $30.00 so I did not order any..
I found the bulbs by looking under ''bulbs by volts ''at the bottom of that page.. The bulb was 24 volt,,,35MA. It has an E10 base[screw]
If you were to order $50.00 or more , the shipping is free.
I could not find anyplace in Calgary that had any..

Try Mouser or WJOE radios, they seem to carry some obscure bulbs, I got some fuse lamps for my Marrantz from WJOE. One of the common faults these Deforest Crosley's have are the crumbling dial lamp leads, particularly on the one that rotate, that was a popular gimmick even on the later models, my 1938 Brahms model uses something similar even though the dial is rainbow shaped.
Regards
Arran

http://www.wjoe.com/all_lamps.htm

Well I did recap the set and I had to strip the top and redo that and the dark trim around the top.I used gojo and then trade secret to cover the scratches.. I also had to rebuild a couple of the feet. It came out better than I had expected. Here are photos.

Attached Files Image(s)

That is a sharp looking radio Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Looks absolutely beautiful, great job!!!

- Geoff

This is just majestic!

This dotted ornament around the dial, is it inlay or photo?

That inlay around the dial is actual wood inlay, the same as the inlay around the sides.

I just love it! Great job how does she play?

It plays just'''' alright.''''.. But when I turn the sensitivity control all the way to the right the volume goes right down. I just don't know enough about it to do any more so I plan on leaving it that way.
It does pick up all the stations and the tone and volume work fine.

That's a beauty! Very sharp set. I'd have a hard time handing that one over for those windows..

Dan a nice job on an absolutely lovely radio. Congrats.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.