Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

#80 tube

If the numbers on TV 7 tester are being 48/53, is the tube still operational? Thanks.

What does the chart say they should be?
As long as the tube shows both halves conducting, even below Good, the tube will work, even if a bit weak.
Both halves should be close in value though or you will sustain increased hum.

Put it in your radio. If it works, it's good.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

I see.But have to buy it prior to that.

Agree. try it. Readily available and inexpensive, shouldn't be much of a gamble.

As long as there is no short between A and K and tube shows some conductivity the radio s the best test. If it works, it works.

Is this a used #80 you are thinking of buying? I have no idea what those numbers were that you quoted? Percentages? I would not buy an #80 tube that was marginal, good used ones are too easy to come by, but if it were in a radio it would still be usable.
Regards
Arran

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HERE-ARE-4-TYPE-...3f3743ca0e

I think this is the auction.
I think they are OK tubes.

Why, you think a guy with 100% rating will knowingly push bad nonworking tubes?

I've always heard that rectifier tubes are either good or they are bad. Basically, they either work or they don't. I don't know why, but the tester I used to have and others always show one side of an 80 as being weaker than the other. 48/53 isn't a big split and that tube should last a good while longer. If one radio doesn't like it, another one of your radios might. I've had that happen as well.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jayce

I believe 80 has a structure that makes measurement asymmetrical, hence the different scale factors when looking at English scale.

Well when it is all said and done with the tube in the set working just measure the B+. If it is within 20 percent of the listed voltage your good to go.
Terry

Just got back home and read all posts.Thing is, I just need 2 globe 80's so the radios look proper in appearance, otherwise
I have a number of non globe working 80 tubes.Thanks for the info.I might even get them as a gift along with some other stuff (Father's Day).