Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stromberg Carlson 225-H restoration chronicles

Well,

I have been a bit busy and haven't touched a radio in 3 weeks or so but I actually got time to work today. The 41-KR is shelved for now and I am starting on a Stromberg cabinet. The cabinet is pretty solid and is clean minus a badly scraped corner, some finish issues, a missing veneer chunk or 2 and a tiny bit of play in the cabinet.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I glued and clamped the cabinet last night. I dismantled the cabinet and and while I wait for the Brazilian Rosewood veneer to arrive I am stripping the front and sides of the cabinet.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

That's Mike's Stromberg cabinet isn't it? I thought that was some species of rosewood, the Canadian General Electric KL500 cabinets used Santos Rosewood as a trim piece, which has red rays in the grain. Some Americans think that they were made by Ingraham like some Emerson and American G.E cabinets were, but I very much doubt that. I have a table that looks like they used the Brazilian kind, I need to do some work to it, someone did a crappy refinish job on it at one time. It looks like the grain in the veneer is pretty straight along that edge, not many rays in the grain, I would think that cutting a parallel strip off that edge and patching it that way would work best rather then trying to fit and fit one just at the back corner.
Regards
Arran

Yep, that's mine.
That missing piece of veneer on top kept me up at nights.
Now it keeps Kirk at nights and I sleep like a baby in a dry diaper.

Where is my veneer!

over a week and a half and not here yet!

As of 1/01/2021

It is being harvested...or possibly planted....you have to wait a few years, they will then cut, dry, slice and send it to you.

By this time I will be dead anyway.

In the street two days after last rain in (your favorite city,) Purrfect

Veneer arrived when I was in Hospital Icon_lol

I'll get to it soon I promise Mike. Icon_thumbup

As of 1/01/2021

Well, get better first.

And remember - you still have your other knee intact. At least for now!
Icon_lol

Don't do the roof thing anymore, this is why we have all those fearless 15 year olds ho will risk their lives for 20 bucks.

Icon_mrgreen

What is the original color scheme for this cabinet.
I noticed a lot of red juices when I was stripping it but if you wet the wood now it looks like it did before I stripped it.
Could there be no toner used on the rosewood cabinet?

Do the corners get Ex Dk Walnut or black?

I have been looking at photos online but people do too many different things for me to be sure. I figured while I am laid up I can order all the toner and clear I will need for the cabinets but need guidance on this one.

I'm betting the finish on this was original but want to make sure.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Yes the finish was original, it was never refinished.
Of course it aged, but it was unmolested.

Them small black spots on top look like burns to me rather than then the wood color, but since the wood has some black areas those could be passed for the grain if smoothed out and re-finished.

I think that the shoulders and the bottom of the sides was black to match the grill, at least it looks black to me. Two of those spots on top look like burn marks, not sure about the third, maybe someone liked using this radio as an ash tray? Maybe a little scraping and spot application of bleach will fade the burns a bit? Sometime sanding will all but get rid of minor burn marks.
Regards
Arran

I already removed the burns Mike. Thanks for the info Arran,

I think I am not going to tone the cabinet except the trim.
The clear will darken it to the original color. I just have to add some reddish tint to the veneer repair.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Veneer repairs completed and top stripped. Need to color match the veneer repair and add some darker lines.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Nice.