Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis

Well, I guess you do not have a tube tester. It would be good for you to find someone that does. Since the radio experienced such a catastrophic failure (i.e. the power transformer burning up), I would not trust that rectifier until it were tested. Chances are it may be OK but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Where do you live? Is there an antique radio club near you? Look here for a listing of clubs:
http://antiqueradios.com/resources/Radio_Clubs/

You might enlist the help of someone in your area to get this set straightened out.

It sounds like you did connect the electrolytics correctly. It's just that 10 uF, 160 VDC cap where a 10uF, 450 VDC cap should have been that probably caused your problem.

Yes, the 41-296 is essentially a 41-295 cabinet; only the front panel hole was cut smaller for the 41-285 chassis, and holes drilled for the control shafts. Then the Tenite escutcheon was added.

Oh, you asked about wire sizes. 20 gauge is plenty sufficient in that 41-285 chassis. Try to keep wire lengths the same as the original. It isn't important in power supply circuits, but in RF and IF circuitry wire length and placement is critical.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis - by Ron Ramirez - 11-26-2009, 08:57 AM