Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1931 Philco Model 70 Missing Speaker

My friend and next door neighbor inherited a 1931 Philco Model 70 when his mother-in-law passed away recently. He doesn't know anything about it other than his wife loved to listen to it when she was young and now its missing the speaker that used to be in it. Neither of them have any idea where it went. I'm somewhat familiar with electrical/electronics and offered to do the research on it and as you probably all know, speakers for it are very hard to find. 

So, I'll start by asking if there is a way of adapting a modern 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker to it. I've seen the tables about the matching transformers and tech info on the speakers so I'm thinking that the replacement transformers for the radio would not necessarily work with a modern speaker since I've seen that the ones for this radio are only 0.7 ohm speakers. I'm looking for help in figuring out a path to help get this old radio to play again. The missing speaker is only problem number one right now and I don't have any idea if there are more problems with the electronics yet since there is no speaker to check to see if there is any sound coming out of it. 

He asked me for help because he has no idea what questions to ask and would like to see if he can get it working for his wife as something to ease her pain of losing her mother. 

This is my first post to this forum so please forgive me if I've put it in the wrong place or made some other mistake in this post. 

Allan

Messages In This Thread
1931 Philco Model 70 Missing Speaker - by artim2205 - 11-27-2021, 05:47 PM