Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1935 Philco 60B, Version 6, Run #11, Oscillator Cap

Quote:Good Luck on checking the thousand's of caps you have!
Thanks!

I'm about 1/2 way through the mica cap project. It has occurred to me since what I have seems to be general sampling of manufacturers, yet, I did not do a count of each, I can, this early, come to a conclusion that Micamold mica caps have, even new, a higher failure rate, generally, high leakage or shorted. All others are somewhat equally distributed for failures..

I "had" faith in Micamold mica, but I am feeling that there must have been some "contamination" in their process that not only caused "early" failure of Micamold Bakelite cased paper caps but also their mica line. I will recklessly guess it was, possibly, that, high volume wartime work that set longevity aside Icon_rolleyes

How the other manufacturers rate is yet unknown until I get everything tested.

jjfritz5528

Have you created a post about this defective IF transformer?  I would like to see the other shield for identification and the internal bobbin and what you have done so far...

If the OEM defective winding is totally intact, it is possible to rewind under certain mechanical conditions. Of which, could the bobbin be placed into a Morris winder to generate a new universal wind, or is it a solenoid wind with one winding on top of the other?

Point me to that topic if it exists...

Thanks!

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Messages In This Thread