Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-355 speaker and field coil replacement

On Chuck Schwark's web site there is a link to a design for a converter that will down-convert today's FM to the old FM band. It will only convert one half of the new band at a time, because the new band is about twice as wide as the old one. You can select whether you want the upper or lower part of the band.

I think this device goes between the actual antenna and the antenna terminals on the radio, so he radio is always receiving to old lower frequency band. You run it off a nine volt battery, IIRC.

There are other designs on the web that do the same thing, some more complex than others. I don't think these are kits, so you build them from scratch based on the schematic. You might also need to wind your own coils.

I have an FM to AM converter from a car. I thought about hooking it up, but none of my radios have a phono plug, which is what you would need. I'd also need a 12 volt power supply. When I found out about SSTran it just seemed simpler to do it that way. Plus I can hook up a CD player or a computer and listen to those sources, not just FM.

John Honeycutt