Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-355 speaker and field coil replacement

Raleigh:

Thanks for respopnding.

I want to clarify what stations I can receive. I cannot receive any AM stations below about 1000 on the dial. The strongest stations I can receive are in the 1100 to 1300 range and the reception on these is very good. I can receive a station at 1530 that should be one of the strongest but the reception is weak. Does this situation indicate the need for alignment as you suggested?

I just acquired a Heathkit SG-8 signal generator but I don't know if the calibration is correct. Is calibration critical and how can I check the calibration? I also need instructions on how to use the generator. The generator has two switches on the left side of the panel labeled Modulation Ext or Int and AF In-Out. Also two connection points labeled AF in and AF out. On the right side of the panel there is one switch labeled RF output and another three position switch labeled RF Steps. There is one screw terminal labeled RF out and a green indicator light above it. I assume I am going to be using the RF side of the instrument. The cable that came with the generator has two alligator clips attached to the end of it. Where do these clips attach?

I do have the Philco alignment instructions and have read them several times. These instructions indicate the need for an audio output meter. I don't have one of these and is one necessary or can an AC voltmeter be used? Do you adjust the padders to get the highest voltage reading on the output meter (voltmeter)? The instructions call for the use of a loop made from a few turns of wire when adjusting the R. F. padders. What is the size of the loop?

I'm sure I will have some more questions when I get into this and appreciate the help.

Bob