Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 570 Gramps Clock

Not yet! The rumors running around about the Corvair was they were so unstable they would flip over and kill you without any notice.

Greg B

That's cause brainiack Ralph had the front tires inflated to 32 pounds. Bouncy-bouncy out of control!

OK, I won't inflate the tires on 570.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Turned on the power to the clock, moved the knob.....no  movement.

Now, how do I remive the minute and hour hands?
The second hand just popped.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike, if it is an original clock you have a small knob on the back of the clock you have to spin to get it started running.  My clock is a bit finicky and it takes a few spins to get it running.  When I head downstairs I'll take a picture of the back of my clock for you.

As far as, "how do I remove the minute and hour hands?"  Not sure about that Mike, I know there is a little tool to remove watch hands, but not sure about that clock.... Kirk would probably know since he works on them a lot.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Not sure if this is original.
I was able to remove the hands and peep inside.
The clock says selfstarting.
The resistance across the leads is 1.7kOhm, so not really open.
The clock doesn't start, and if powered, not putting up any resistance to rotating the first sprocket,which rotates freely and rotates the motor shaft.
No smoke.
No nothing.

I tried to remove the back.....not much, a nylon cover of some sort....no burnt smell.
No dirt really.

Not sure what is next.

I think this is a replacement, the original was Hammond, but from the outside they are the same, just the marking in the back might differ.

Yes, that is a replacement clock but it looks like an older replacement.  Maybe you can get some advice on a clock forum, it's worth a try.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

http://www.dialrepair.com/
https://norkro.com/products/lanshire-xl7-clock-motor

Or when things get better go here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LANSHIRE-EH4-7-...SwoylejKQT

You guys think this wiould fit?

It looks about the same size.  Measure yours and ask them if the one they're selling is the same size.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

John

I'll do as you said, but I think this is the case where size doesn't matter Icon_lol
To a degree, of course.
The way it is fastened, it is held by the dial. And then by this rectangular board. The cutouts are oversized.
But doesn't hurt to ask.

It won't work, Mike.

Let's look at yours again:

[Image: https://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/attac...?aid=21963]

and now the eBay motor:

Notice how the shaft of the eBay clock is much longer (NO OFF-COLOR COMMENTS PLEASE).

Plus it looks like the minute hand would be a screw on type (?) or held in place with a nut.

I would keep looking.

It might be considered sacrilege by some, but another possibility would be one of those battery operated movements. Some are made with sweep second hand so you don't have that annoying tick-tick.

Whichever way you go, you will have to keep the shaft length in mind before purchasing a replacement motor. Too long and the hands will press against the glass or worse, you won't be able to put the motor into your GFC without breaking the glass.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

s**t

I just bought it.

Cancelled.

I saw your message 1 minute after placing the order.
This movement was the only one that looked the same anywhere I looked.

Of course the gearbox could be changed keeping the motor.
If I didn't know it and still got it.

The restoration company charges $25 if I take off the gearbox and $50 if I don't.