The PHILCO Phorum
Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Home Radios (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio (/showthread.php?tid=24311)

Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - jnlfrazier - 05-03-2023

[attachment=28343]
I need a little help with an identification. Picked up this beautiful Philco at an auction. Label says "Model 220" but I can't find any information on a Philco Cathedral radio model 220. Has anybody seen one of these? And it looks like it’s missing a control. Thanks in advance.

RE: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - GarySP - 05-03-2023

It looks to me like a 20 chassis cobbled into a 70 cabinet, based on the tube compliment.
The 220 label is too shabby to be company issue ... look how poorly cut-out.
The "220" didn't come out until 1941, and then as the 41-220, and not just 220.
Perhaps the previous owner probably planned on mounting a dummy knob to cover the hole in the cabinet.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

RE: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - Ron Ramirez - 05-03-2023

Well...

There was a model 220 in early 1931, but it was a radio-phonograph console, not a cathedral.

Otherwise, Gary nailed it - it appears someone cobbled this 220 chassis into a 70 cathedral cabinet, and added a model 77, 96 or 111 escutcheon as a "finishing touch". Icon_rolleyes Icon_thumbdown

RE: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - Steve Davis - 05-03-2023

Going by the knob spacing, I going to say the cabinet is a 21.

Steve

RE: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - Ron Ramirez - 05-03-2023

I just went downstairs and looked at my 21 cathedral, and after doing so I must say that Steve is correct. Icon_thumbup

The extra hole in the OP's cabinet looks like it may have a 1/4" phone jack behind it?

RE: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - radiorich - 05-04-2023

hello guy,
I wonder if this was used as a gutar amplifier at one-time ?

Sincerely Richard

RE: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - jnlfrazier - 05-06-2023

Looks like everybody nailed it A 220 chassis in a 70 cabinet with a quarter inch phone plug. How strange.

RE: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - jnlfrazier - 05-06-2023

The phone plug is connected to a wafer switch that's cuts off the radio when a plug is inserted. Could this be a phono jack?

RE: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - Ron Ramirez - 05-06-2023

Most likely, yes - that is the most reasonable possibility.

And I still think Steve Davis was right - your cathedral cabinet is a model 21, not a 70, with an extra drilled hole for the phone jack. If one examines model 21 and 70 cabinets, it is obvious that the tuning knob is placed a bit higher on the 21 than the 70.

RE: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - DaleHCook - 05-07-2023

Does the speaker plug on the 200 chassis have two large pins and two small pins, or three large pins and one small pin?

RE: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - Ron Ramirez - 05-07-2023

The 20 and 21 (and the 220) use the same speaker plug as on other 1930-36 Philco models, three large pins, one small.

RE: Philco 220 Cathedral Radio - DaleHCook - 05-07-2023

Ron -

Thanks - that is what I suspected. Do you know if all of the push-pull Philcos of that era which used that connector had same pinout for their dynamic speakers?

What about the single-ended Philcos of that period? Do you know if they all used the same pinout for their dynamic speakers?

I don't have much to go on here as my 116-B is my only set of that period. If service data Vol. 1 specifies the same speaker for multiple sets and I know its connector pinout I can expand my speaker cable tables. Any data I can gather about speaker cable pinouts is very helpful. There aren't all that many dynamic speaker Philcos in collections in my area, and I have no idea when I will next get to Huntington to explore the collection there. I normally get there only for the fall meet, and won't have the chance to check speaker wiring on that trip.