Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 220 Cathedral Radio

[attachment=28343]
I need a little help with an identification. Picked up this beautiful Philco at an auction. Label says "Model 220" but I can't find any information on a Philco Cathedral radio model 220. Has anybody seen one of these? And it looks like it’s missing a control. Thanks in advance.

It looks to me like a 20 chassis cobbled into a 70 cabinet, based on the tube compliment.
The 220 label is too shabby to be company issue ... look how poorly cut-out.
The "220" didn't come out until 1941, and then as the 41-220, and not just 220.
Perhaps the previous owner probably planned on mounting a dummy knob to cover the hole in the cabinet.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Well...

There was a model 220 in early 1931, but it was a radio-phonograph console, not a cathedral.

Otherwise, Gary nailed it - it appears someone cobbled this 220 chassis into a 70 cathedral cabinet, and added a model 77, 96 or 111 escutcheon as a "finishing touch". Icon_rolleyes Icon_thumbdown

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Going by the knob spacing, I going to say the cabinet is a 21.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

I just went downstairs and looked at my 21 cathedral, and after doing so I must say that Steve is correct. Icon_thumbup

The extra hole in the OP's cabinet looks like it may have a 1/4" phone jack behind it?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

hello guy,
I wonder if this was used as a gutar amplifier at one-time ?

Sincerely Richard

Looks like everybody nailed it A 220 chassis in a 70 cabinet with a quarter inch phone plug. How strange.

The phone plug is connected to a wafer switch that's cuts off the radio when a plug is inserted. Could this be a phono jack?

Most likely, yes - that is the most reasonable possibility.

And I still think Steve Davis was right - your cathedral cabinet is a model 21, not a 70, with an extra drilled hole for the phone jack. If one examines model 21 and 70 cabinets, it is obvious that the tuning knob is placed a bit higher on the 21 than the 70.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Does the speaker plug on the 200 chassis have two large pins and two small pins, or three large pins and one small pin?

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/

The 20 and 21 (and the 220) use the same speaker plug as on other 1930-36 Philco models, three large pins, one small.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron -

Thanks - that is what I suspected. Do you know if all of the push-pull Philcos of that era which used that connector had same pinout for their dynamic speakers?

What about the single-ended Philcos of that period? Do you know if they all used the same pinout for their dynamic speakers?

I don't have much to go on here as my 116-B is my only set of that period. If service data Vol. 1 specifies the same speaker for multiple sets and I know its connector pinout I can expand my speaker cable tables. Any data I can gather about speaker cable pinouts is very helpful. There aren't all that many dynamic speaker Philcos in collections in my area, and I have no idea when I will next get to Huntington to explore the collection there. I normally get there only for the fall meet, and won't have the chance to check speaker wiring on that trip.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/